Please HELP!!!

STV

Reaction score
I am a new user on MacBook Pro. I wanted to install Logic studio 8 on my macbook but thought I should copy all the songs I've written using Garageband into an external hard drive.A youtube video suggests I change my Home folder to the external drive and then copy. I followed the instruction and before copying but I was prompted to restart the mac. When I restarted, I could not copy the content again and I could not restore my mac to previous setting. I need my songs and previous settings before installing the Logic. Please help!!!

Can anyone log in remotely to help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm not sure what you did, but it sounds awfully convoluted. First of all, you should never do anything with your Home folder, that is the folder that you named on your Macintosh HD. Don't move it, don't change your name.

Secondly, why did you want to move your Garageband songs? Were you trying to delete them from your HD for some reason, or were you trying to back them up? In any case, all you have to do is copy and paste into your external drive, provided it's formatted for OSX.

Lastly, what "instructions" did this YouTube video give you? We can't really know what the problem is if we don't know what it was you actually did.

If you enabled Time Machine on your Mac to keep backups, you could try restoring from there. Is your Home folder still on your Mac?

OP
S

STV

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Oneironaut. Unfortunately, I have changed where my home folder should be. I discovered my mistake thru using another friend's Apple Mac. I went on this path: System Preference--Account--Right--Authenticated as Admin--Right clicked on Admin--Advanced--changed my Home Folder to my external drive. Now I can only log in when the external drive is pluged to the Mac. When I go thru My Computer, I can see my previous drive where "Appleuser" folder is and all my stuffs are still there but now I could not right-click on the Admin to get into the the Advanced Option. I think my action has messed up the path. At the moment, my right-click is not working, nothing is working except safari. I couldn't even re-install the maching to factory setting with my OS disk. I think if I can get into the advanced option, then I can redirect the path but my right-click seem to have been disabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Hm, you might want to call Apple Care. Every new Mac comes with 90 days of free phone support, though if you have an installation disk it's an older Mac and your phone support is probably expired, unless you got extended Apple Care.

Did you back up your system with Time Machine before all this happened? Do you know how to re-install OSX? If no one here can tell you how to get your Home folder back, I would say just reinstall. To do this, you insert the disk, then restart your computer and hold down the Option key when you hear the startup chime. After a minute you'll have the choice of booting up from the Macintosh HD or from the installation disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.