Internet access problems!

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently been given an iMac desktop which I believe is about 10-11 years old. It does not have built in wireless internet capability. I bought a Ralink wireless USB adapter, and installed it. The software recognised my wireless provider and shows a good service. Initially, Safari worked, and I could access the internet as normal.

After about a week, I attempted to launch Windows which was installed by the previous owner. This seems to have caused some problems. Windows does not work, my taskbar has moved to the bottom of the screen, and I cannot access the internet.

The wireless utility still shows internet access, however Safari denies this. I have looked for ideas to solve this without success. Any solutions very gratefully received!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to supply us with more information: What version of OS X are you running on the iMac desktop and which iMac do you have? A very old iMac that is 10 or 11 years old would generally not be able to run Windows except maybe in some sort of emulation mode. We need some info about that too.

C

chas_m

Windows causing problems?? Well I nevah! :)

I'm with chscag. Lots more info required, but bottom line: this computer is by your estimate 10-11 years old. How much time and money are you prepared to put into this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.