NTFS-3G error when connecting my new 500GB external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to MAC and being used to windows finding it really hard to uninstall this third party software that i downloaded from CNET to be able to access an external drive that is formatted as NTFS.

After I installed this software: NTFS-3G for Mac - CNET Download.com
I tried to connect my harddrive and it has been giving me this error.

I then went on to remove this NTFS-3G application by dragging it onto the 'Trash' icon hoping this would uninstall it, but it dint.

I have googled this topic and found various forums giving ideas on how to remove it manually using scripts. I tried running these scripts on the terminal but these dint work as i am assuming these were meant for a different verison of NTFS-3G.

I have also removed the MACFUSE preference pane. I cant find any referece to NTFS-3G when I do a spot light search. I dont see anything related to NTFS-3G or Tuxera or MACFUSE on the system preference pane.

I have a MAC AIR running OS-X Lion 10.7.3

Can someone please help me remove this program. Any help will be greatly appreciated. All i want to do is be able to see the external drive when i connect it to the MAC so that I can format it to FAT32 as I need to use the hard disk with the MAC and Windows PC.

Error Message:
"NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1
at /Volumes/TOSHIBA EXT because the following problem occurred:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
Reason: image not found"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

As you found out, NTFS-3G is buggy and even in its paid format, has problems. Here is a link which explains how to uninstall it. However, it's not really for someone who may be unfamiliar with the command line.

If you would have come here first we would have told you to avoid NTFS-3G and instead purchase the stable and very good "Paragon NTFS" for $19.95 from Paragon Software. LINK

Also, before using any of these products, make sure you have a good backup of all your data. Use Time Machine.

Reaction score
remove ntfs3g and help finding a program to use ex HD on mac and windows

Hi,

I am a new mac user, bought a mac book air a month ago (with lion 10.7 software). As I am a student, I work at the uni a lot (all windows pc's) and would like to be able to use my external hard drive on both my mac and uni computers.
I've had the external hard drive for a while longer, and it's formatted for windows.

I tried to install ntfs 3g but couldnt get it to work right, my mac now cannot even see my external HD.
So now for my questions:

1) the script found in the link you posted (to add in Terminal) does it still work on Lion 10.7, ie can I delete ntfs3g with it?
2) if I buy and install paragon, can I then write and read files on my external hard drive, both with the mac and windows pc's?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Susannah

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

1. I can't guaranty the script will work with Lion or Mountain Lion but since NTFS-3G hasn't changed, it should. Give it a try.

2. Paragon NTFS is an OS X special driver which allows read - write to and from NTFS. You can only install it on your Mac, not a Windows computer (where it's not necessary anyway). Windows already has the ability to read - write NTFS to and from an external drive since NTFS is the Windows native format.

C

chas_m

Alternative solution: since OS X can *read* from NTFS drives without issue, simply copy the data you want to preserve onto another drive, then reformat the NTFS drive to HFS and use it for your Mac. Copy the data back. Problem solved.

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to thank you for your help and quick response! I have successfully deleted NTFS-3G and installed paragon, and I can save files to my external HD from my mac! YES!
(I feel like such a computer wizz right now hahah)

Susannah

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.