email attachment files being saved to Mbp desktop

Reaction score
MBP with lion installed has an irritating automatic save job where it automatically saves all opened email attachments to the desktop. I open quite a few and my desktop get all cluttered. It is very annoying. In looking at the various suggestions on the internet, and some say it is the browsers preferences. I changed all the browsers preferences. Some say it is the email program I use so I changed the email preferences. Some have suggested that is the type of file that is being opened but it is not that either. Others say that you need to choose the place where you want it to be downloaded. This also does not work for me. This is so unlike Apple to do something like this. Can anyone help me find a work around to not clutter up my desktop. Thanks Little silver

C

chas_m

Sounds like you are mishandling the attachment to me. Why don't you describe EXACTLY what you do when you receive an email with an attachment?

OP
L
Reaction score
exactly how I open an attachment

First, thank you Chas_M for your time in discussing this issue about attachments. I am using the latest version of thunderbird, but I understand that this issue occurs in most email programs as well. What I do when an email comes in thunderbird is to open the email, click on the attachment so the file is presented, and then I click on a file to select which file in the attachment I want to open. The file opens, and I am able to proceed with business. After I am done with my business, I close the file and I think all is well. When I go to the desktop, the 15 files from attachments I opened in thunderbird are all over the desktop. This is totally counter productive as I now have more work to go through them all and take them off the desktop. I have followed all the suggestions about adjusting preferences of every program on my computer, but to no avail. Thank you for any other suggestion you might have.
Little Silver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ooops missed that this was Thunderbird. It's got to be a preference issue, and really.. should have nothing to do with the OS, since it's not even an Apple product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.