Someone please help!

Reaction score
had a bad morning with my new iMac.....
Can anyone tell me how I get the spell checker to make new sentences start with a capital letter if I forget to put one in?

Also, in Excel for Mac, I can't seem to be able to send my spreadsheets through the 'Share' menu. All the e-mail options are greyed out and inactive. I have to close down my spreadsheet, open an email and attach the file - a very long way around.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Noni:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
had a bad morning with my new iMac.....
Can anyone tell me how I get the spell checker to make new sentences start with a capital letter if I forget to put one in?

Would this be in Word or something? Depending on the version, Word should automatically capitalize the first letter of a word after a period. Spell Checker wouldn't do that work for you.

Also, in Excel for Mac, I can't seem to be able to send my spreadsheets through the 'Share' menu. All the e-mail options are greyed out and inactive. I have to close down my spreadsheet, open an email and attach the file - a very long way around.

Have you ever been able to get this to work from within the application or have you always attached the spreadsheet separately?

OP
N
Reaction score
It seems to be in my Mail that there is no auto correct for capital letter starts to sentences. I haven't tried it in Word yet.
I was sending spreadsheets as attachments last week from the 'share' function but for some reason, it is not letting me do it today. I also can't get my Canon scanner to work fully with my iMac - it's just so frustrating on a busy day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Would this be in Word or something? Depending on the version, Word should automatically capitalize the first letter of a word after a period. Spell Checker wouldn't do that work for you.
And Word doesn't discern the difference between periods for sentences and periods for acronyms. In my experience, if it sees a period, it capitalizes the next letter whether you want that to be the case or not.

As for the inability to send as an attachment, the problem is caused by a change in the default email client. If the default email client is something Office doesn't recognize, it disables the option. In Mail, go to Mail > Preferences > General > Default email reader > make sure it's set to Mail. I just tried it here - with a default of Chrome (for GMail), the options are disabled but once it was set to Mail, all was well.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you SO much VanSmith - it was an error in the mail preferences as you suggested. Phew! I feel much better now that is fixed! It will save a lot of time as I use and send spreadsheets all the time.

Any idea how I can get the 'full stop - capital letter working in Mail? It seems so basic.

I know I will learn to love my iMac but it is hard going learning to make the change on my own. (The Apple technical help desk told me to phone microsoft re the problem you just solved - not helpful). I really appreciate your help.

C

chas_m

Any idea how I can get the 'full stop - capital letter working in Mail? It seems so basic.

I don't mean to be blunt, but ... brushing up on your spelling will eliminate this problem AND improve your communication skills. It's like saying I can't add beyond 2+2 without a calculator, yes?

I'm not saying your post was lacking in communication skills, I'm saying that training your mind to use capitalization (punctuation, grammar etc) properly will provide you with a far more powerful "spell check" than any computer can provide. I'm certainly not perfect and still rely on spell check to help me with problem words, but most of the time I can see and "hear" in my mind if something doesn't "look" or "sound" right.

(The Apple technical help desk told me to phone microsoft re the problem you just solved - not helpful).

And Apple should be responsible for fixing Microsoft problems because ...

Again, this is a case where the user made an error but expects "the machine" (in this case the company) to fix the problem. A problem with a Microsoft program should OF COURSE be taken up with Microsoft, who would have likely answered the question correctly and reasonably swiftly. Apple is responsible for THEIR software, not EVERYONE ELSE's software, right?

OP
N
Reaction score
Very smart. If all you can contribute is sarcasm to this site, you shouldn't bother.

C

chas_m

I'm sincerely trying to help you avoid future problems by explaining what's really going on so that you understand where the issues lie.

If you don't like my free tech support, you're entitled to a 100% refund. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't mean to be blunt, but ... brushing up on your spelling will eliminate this problem AND improve your communication skills. It's like saying I can't add beyond 2+2 without a calculator, yes?
Really? Of all the ways to respond, this was the most courteous?

Again, this is a case where the user made an error but expects "the machine" (in this case the company) to fix the problem.
Why would we expect that? It's not as if iOS or OS X has built in spell checking (oh wait...).

Unfortunately, Mail doesn't have this. I found an old article about using a third party service to help (see here). I don't know if it works in Lion but it might be worth a look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.