• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

TOAST 5.2.1 only burns at 4X-----SLOW!!!

R

rosstaman

I recently bought a LACIE 52X32X52 CD burner and it came bundled with Toast 5.2.1.
I can only burn CD's with Data or audio at a 4X speed? I thought i bought the fastest burner on the market! Is it because I have an older MAc (G3 350mhz) its connection is USB not firewire
and my usb firmware is 1.5.6? any help out there?
PS I have 2 USB periferals (printer and keyboard) and i only have 2 slots on the rear of my tower, Ive been plugging my CD burner into my keyboard USB slot, But I have tried it in the back of the tower---still only 4X......help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i dont use a usb burner but there are two possibilities

1. Your media you are using only supports 4x burning
2. The fastest speed usb supports is 4x. You definitely are not going to get the 52x speed through usb im just not sure how much of a speed loss you get

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You try downloading Toast 5.2.3, it may help a little bit. But as trpnmonkey41 said, your usb port is your bottle neck.

OP
T

The Dragon

. The fastest speed usb supports is 4x. You definitely are not going to get the 52x speed through usb im just not sure how much of a speed loss you get
yes trpnmonkey41
this is realy the problem
any spead greater then 4 speed will not be accesible on usb you need to get the firewire version.
rosstaman if you stil can return the burner because it's worthless to you since you need usb 2.0 for those speed's but better stil is firewire (witch in my opinion runs faster) if you bought it in a mac shop tell the guy he doesn't understand the stuff he's selling.
I hope this is enough help and that you can solve the issue with your vendor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.