a little help...

Reaction score
Hey all -

I just created a slideshow in aperture, and I can not figure out a way to burn them to a cd or dvd. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is a mothers day gift from my daughter to her mom and grandmothers.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I haven't done anything like this in a loooong time . . . So may not be really helpful.

If you have iDVD then you can use that (believe that is what I have done). Otherwise, if you insert a blank DVD and then select the slideshow file (probably have to export it from Aperture first) you should have an option show up in the finder window to burn to disk (believe it will have a black and yellow icon).

Again, then isn't something I do, haven't burnt a DVD in years, so my memory may be off. I will try firing up Aperture later (on my iPad right now) and see if there is a way to do it directly from Aperture.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Razor, I have a Mid 2011 iMac, and idvd is not a part of the mac package anymore, at least from what I read. So any and all other help would be great. I will also try what you recommended and let you know the results.

Hwilensky

C

chas_m

I don't use Aperture, but surely you would export the slideshow as a movie file?

From Aperture's help file:

Sharing Your Slideshow Movies
Once you have completed your slideshow, you are ready to share it with clients and friends. Aperture provides a few simple controls for exporting your slideshow as a movie, in the size and format most suitable for your intended audience. When you’re ready to share your slideshow, the first thing you need to decide is how it will be viewed. By default, the export dialog provides options for exporting your slideshow as a movie suitable for playback on iPod, iPhone, and iPod touch; as a movie for the web to be posted on MobileMe or YouTube; or as a high-resolution movie compatible with HD 720p Apple TV or HD 1080p televisions. If necessary, you can also output your slideshow movie in a custom size.

To share your slideshow as a movie
In the top-right corner of the Slideshow Editor, click the Export button.

In the dialog that appears, give the slideshow movie a name in the Save As field, then select a location to save it to.

Choose the viewing platform for your movie from the “Export for” pop-up menu.

If you want to export a slideshow movie in a custom size, choose Custom from the “Export for” pop-up menu, then enter the width and height, in pixels, in the Width and Height fields, and enter the number of frames per second in the Frame Rate field.

If you want Aperture to automatically send a copy of the slideshow movie to iTunes, select the “Automatically send slideshow to iTunes” checkbox.

Click Export.

OP
H
Reaction score
I understand that. Once you export it, it becomes a .mov file. It seems to be no way to burn it with out third party software. I just found that odd.

Hwilensky

C

chas_m

Most people these days don't burn DVDs anymore -- mostly because it takes such a long time for the conversion, and then they're often displeased with the results (since it has to get compressed down into standard definition).

More often, people (particularly younger people) post their videos to Facebook or YouTube (et al) for more immediate gratification. These days, you can shoot, edit and upload an HD video ON YOUR PHONE. <shakes head, gettin' old>

You can download the free-but-incredibly-basic Burn or the not-free-but-powerful Toast or one of their various alternatives and make a DVD. I use a program called Permute ($15) to do the converting and DVD image-making, then just burn the image using Disk Utility (built-in).

OP
H
Reaction score
More often, people (particularly younger people) post their videos to Facebook or YouTube (et al) for more immediate gratification. These days, you can shoot, edit and upload an HD video ON YOUR PHONE. <shakes head, gettin' old>

While I am not old age wise, I feel the same you do. I would never think to post on you tube or Facebook videos that I shoot. But hey who knows. As far as you advice on software, I went with Toast. It was just what I needed and turned out a quality product. As usual, thank you very much for the great advice.

Hwilensky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.