Freezing after software update

Reaction score
I had (what seemed like) a major software update to my new iMac 21 on Thursday 10th May. Now, when I wake up the machine from 'sleep' mode, the machine does not respond to clicks on the icons in the dock, on the Apple Menu or on whichever other menu is showing next to the Apple symbol. The only way around this is to manually switch the computer off with the power button, wait a few seconds and switch it on again. The machine then works perfectly.
This had not happened in the four or so weeks I had owned the iMac, before the upgrade. Does anyone know why? Have other users had the same happen? Thanks in advance for your help, GeoffBob.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had (what seemed like) a major software update to my new iMac 21 on Thursday 10th May. Now, when I wake up the machine from 'sleep' mode, the machine does not respond to clicks on the icons in the dock, on the Apple Menu or on whichever other menu is showing next to the Apple symbol. The only way around this is to manually switch the computer off with the power button, wait a few seconds and switch it on again. The machine then works perfectly.
This had not happened in the four or so weeks I had owned the iMac, before the upgrade. Does anyone know why? Have other users had the same happen? Thanks in advance for your help, GeoffBob.

I haven't seen this particular issue, but it sounds like it received the 10.7.4 update.

Generally speaking, hard-powering down the machine is a bad idea as it can cause problems with the file system of your hard disk. Doing it repeatedly tends to further exacerbate the issue.

The first thing I would recommend doing is opening Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities). Within Disk Utility, select your 'Macintosh HD' hard disk in the left window pane and then select the 'First Aid' tab in the right window pane.

Run Verify/Repair Permissions. When that's done, do Verify/Repair Disk.

That may correct both issues. Let us know.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for that - I knew the Mac and PC are different! I have done 'repair disk permissions' and 'verify disk' ('repair disk' is greyed out, so I guess I do not need that), and will see how the machine behaves in the next day or so, and give you an update then. Thanks again, GeoffBob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To run Repair Disk you need to go into Lion recovery, select the drive and run Repair Disk from there. You cannot repair a disk you are booted from.

OP
G
Reaction score
THANKS HARRYB - I have made a note of this, just in case I need it in the future. So far, things seem to have worked fine, after following CWA107's advice. The second iMac in the office has now just been upgraded, and I will be interested to see what happens there!! Thanks again, GeoffBob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.