• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone ever used Cash4Macs.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- MB Pro 15" Retina - MacBook Air 13" 240GB OWC - iPad 3 16GB 4g Verizon - iPhone 4S
Lookimg to sell one of my machines and they offered a good fair price. Has anyone ever used them before?

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Rarely do any of these places offer a "fair" price for a used computer.

Why?...they need to resell it & make a profit on it themselves...so they usually cannot offer a "fair" price. You almost always come out ahead selling on e-Bay or Craig's List.

That being said...I'm not saying Cash4Mac's is bad in any way...I'm only suggesting you can probably do better from the $$$ perspective.

- NIck

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- MB Pro 15" Retina - MacBook Air 13" 240GB OWC - iPad 3 16GB 4g Verizon - iPhone 4S
Rarely do any of these places offer a "fair" price for a used computer.

Why?...they need to resell it & make a profit on it themselves...so they usually cannot offer a "fair" price. You almost always come out ahead selling on e-Bay or Craig's List.

That being said...I'm not saying Cash4Mac's is bad in any way...I'm only suggesting you can probably do better from the $$$ perspective.

- NIck

Craigslist is so annoying to sell on. 90% are scammers and it gets so annoying. eBay used to be king but their fees suck, even down to they make money off shipping.

Tell me if this is fair. $1900 for 17" MacBook Pro with 750gb and 8gb ram. Mb pro is about 5 weeks new and they cover shipping. Decided to sell and wait for a 15" when they are released.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Craigslist is so annoying to sell on. 90% are scammers and it gets so annoying. eBay used to be king but their fees suck, even down to they make money off shipping.

Yes...selling on these sites can be annoying...but then selling anything on your own has always been a hassle. Back before the internet...the popular way to sell things on your own was to advertise in the local newspaper classifieds section...and selling things back then was a hassle.

Human nature has not changed...only the options we have to sell things. Your reward is more cash if you sell it on your own!!!:)

Tell me if this is fair. $1900 for 17" MacBook Pro with 750gb and 8gb ram. Mb pro is about 5 weeks new and they cover shipping. Decided to sell and wait for a 15" when they are released.

Is this the 17" MacBook Pro that's currently selling at the Apple Store for $2499 + around $150 in sales tax ($2650 total)? If so...this means that if you accept Cash4Mac's offer of $1900...you'll be losing $750 dollars in only 5 weeks of ownership!

You would probably be best selling this on e-Bay (more buyers)...thus you may be able to get around $200-$300 more. So I'm proposing you have four options:

- keep the computer
- accept the Cash4Mac's offer of $1900
- sell on Craig's List
- sell it on e-Bay (minus e-Bay & Paypal fee's)

Actually to be honest (in this particular case) the e-Bay & Paypal fees will probably eat up much of your profits (because of the high value of the item).

The best option would have been to return the computer. If you had doubts...why the heck didn't you return the computer to Apple when you could???

Honestly...I would suggest keeping the computer. If you sell it now...you're going to take a $750 loss. Is getting the next model 15" MacBook Pro really that important? What's the next 15" MBP going to have that's so down-right special that taking a $750 loss on your 17" MBP is worth it???

- Nick

p.s. BTW....did you upgrade the ram...or was this MBP configured from Apple with 8 gig of ram?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on Nick's reccommendation.

And, I would add another option. Wait until the new 15 in MBPs actually come out and then decide if it is worth the cost to upgrade. Your 17 in MBP won't lose much additional value by waiting a few more weeks/months.

FWIW I would keep what you have and look forward to getting a new MBP in 2015, should be really a huge upgrade by then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.