• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie: DV-PAL

Reaction score
Hi,
I imported two .dv clips into iMovie 6.0.3 to edit. Somehow they were automatically imported as "DV-PAL." (The miniDV tapes were used in a friend's camera--he's from Australia...not sure if that has anything to do with it.) I'm going to want to make DVDs of my finished movie. Will this present an issue for me? I can't seem to find how to import them again in the NTSC format (the option doesn't present itself in the "video format" triangle dropdown).

Second issue: I've got all my clips on the timeline but when I try to put transitions in, there's sound with the transition (from elsewhere in the movie...same drum-and-voice section each time). Sometimes the transition works--no sound--but mostly not. When I first started adding the transitions, iMovie just shut down. I don't know if this is about the DV-PAL issue or something separate.

Thanks for any guidance here.
Cynthia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie06 generally detects the format that the camcorder used. PAL is 25 frames per second, and NTSC is 29.97. It is possible to set in iMovie Preferences, which frame rate that you want a new Project to be.

If you are going to be making a dvd by Sharing to iDVD, I shouldn't worry too much, because you can set iDVD to produce either a PAL or NTSC dvd:

To select the video format for an iDVD project:

Choose Project > Project Info.

Choose NTSC or PAL from the Video Mode pop-up menu and click OK.

However, if you are in an NTSC country, then iDVD should choose NTS by default.

Regarding the audio in transitions, just select the transition and then adjust the Volume slider to zero.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks! I'm working on the edits first and then will try your suggestions for iDVD. You solved the audio on the transitions--thanks.

C

chas_m

Yes, it has everything to do with the fact that your friend (and his camera) are from Australia. That's the standard they use there (in fact almost the entire world other than the US and Canada use PAL).

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! I finished the project in iMovie and then did a OneStep DVD from Movie...the brightness completely disappeared! Too dark again...I checked Project Info and "NTSC" was there in Video Mode so I thought the PAL issue would be taken care of. (Also it's Widescreen and Best Performance.) I don't know what I can do about the darkness of the whole thing other than take it to an editor and have it brightened. Any ideas anyone? I appreciate it.
csoph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Any reason why you exported your movie from iMovie and then did a One Step DVD from a movie? Why not Share your iMovie Project direct from iMovie to iDVD?

Did your movie look OK when viewing it via iDVD's Preview function?

OP
C
Reaction score
I did it again and "Shared It" as you mentioned...I think this is actually the same outcome as importing from iMovie. The iDVD preview still looks dark to me but the burned DVD seems to be OK. thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.