MacBookPro, PS3's connect to internet, iMac, Ipad won't

Reaction score
Just started having this problem. My iMac and iPad will not connect to internet, my sons' MacBookPro, iTouch and PS3 will. My iMac is wired to the router direct, my iPad, of course, is WiFi. The MacBookPro, iTouchs and PS3 connect through WiFi. I don't think it is a router problem or a modem problem (have Cable internet). What could be the problem? The iMac and iPad seem to have minds of there own, will connect sometimes and then sometimes will only go to certain websites. This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Just to confirm, you have turned WiFi on in Settings?

Also, does your iPad connect to anyone else's WiFi? or is it just temperamental with yours?

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes to question one.

Don't know to question 2 as I always use it in my home. It is WiFi iPad only.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you ask a neighbor to borrow theirs? I only ask you do this so we can see the root cause - If your iPad works with other people's WiFi we know the problem lies with your router or vice versa.

also, what password system are you using for your router? WEP or WPA?

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.

WEP password, have comcast cable internet.

I am going to try my ipad at another wifi spot today and will let you know the answer to the part. I was thinking it might be my router also. What has me confused, is inconsistency. It will connect great...sometimes...then other times not at all. iMac nor ipad will connect to itunes and has an awful time connecting to the Comcast homepage.

Really weird. Friend at work thinks I may have malware? Something about Java. Have not clue, am not tech savvy whatsoever. That is why I am looking for help.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not malware. Its just a technical hiccup somewhere.

okay, where is your router? and where do you generally use you iPad/Mac? How is the signal strength?

OP
I
Reaction score
thanks for your help robduckyworth.

when I saw it get online through the other network, I figured my router was bad so I went and bought a new one. all is working great now. because I have two boys on two seperate ps3 systems, my wife on the computer, and me on the ipad, i upgraded and got a better router.

all is smokin now. thanks again for your help.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help robduckyworth.

when I saw it get online through the other network, I figured my router was bad so I went and bought a new one. all is working great now. because I have two boys on two seperate ps3 systems, my wife on the computer, and me on the ipad, i upgraded and got a better router.

all is smokin now. thanks again for your help.

Great! Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy your iPad. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.