Virus protection?

Reaction score
Hello, my nephew a few years ago (Phd maths, 1st degrees computer science) said I didn't need virus protection for my Mac. I've had some funny things happen lately, one is I keep getting phone calls on skype on mac saying my system is unprotected, and other things. Does this apply? I've also had some scam emails and generally worried about security. I've had a scam email via Linked in recently and I responded as I was so annoyed, but now worried I will be attacked with Malware. Any advice please?? Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello, my nephew a few years ago (Phd maths, 1st degrees computer science) said I didn't need virus protection for my Mac.

I had a good laugh when I read this!:D Does mentioning your nephew's degrees somehow "validate" your nephews expertise in this area??

- If it does...Why don't you believe him (since you posted this question on Mac-Forums)??
- If it doesn't...Then does this mean that you don't believe what your nephew told you??

All you really needed to ask is..."Do I need virus protection on my Macintosh?" Mentioning your nephews college degrees really adds no value to the conversation/question.;)

I've had a scam email via Linked in recently and I responded as I was so annoyed, but now worried I will be attacked with Malware. Any advice please??

You should NEVER NEVER...respond to e-mails that you suspect may be spam, contain a virus, or may be a scam...no matter how much it annoy's you!!! You're just asking for trouble when you do this.

- Nick

p.s. To answer your question...many of us believe that you DO NOT need virus protection on a Macintosh. And this position can be enhanced by practicing "Safe Computing". Part of which mean's...DON'T respond to unknown e-mails!!!

But at the end of the day...it's still your call as to whether YOU NEED an anti-virus program on your Mac.

C

chas_m

To answer your questions more directly:

1. No, you don't need virus protection for your Mac. We have a sticky thread on this topic, you may want to peruse it: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

(Summary: there aren't any viruses, but some forms of malware [which is not the same thing] exist. Use common sense and good security practices like keeping your software up to date and you'll be fine, but if you like you can install an "anti-virus" program though they are generally a waste of money and resources)

2. You can set your Skype preferences to block calls from anyone you don't already know (in your contact lists). It would appear that you need to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
If you are worried about your Linkedin or any other account, change your password.

If you are worried that you may have malware, first read the sticky at the top of this forum page, then if still worried, download ClamXAV or Sophos and scan your computer.

Delete all suspect email, do not reply to any of it. Empty your trash. Do not answer any Skype phone call that you do not recognize.Change your email password.

Be sure to apply any updates from Apple. Do not update Java or Flash except thru Apple update. Do not respond to any popup telling you to update an app or program.

After all this, sit back, cool out and enjoy life. Mac computers are well protected against malware.

On edit: chas_m has good advice, and was typing faster than I was! LOL

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello, these were very quick responses. And to this person:

"I had a good laugh when I read this! Does mentioning your nephew's degrees somehow "validate" your nephews expertise in this area??

- If it does...Why don't you believe him (since you posted this question on Mac-Forums)??
- If it doesn't...Then does this mean that you don't believe what your nephew told you??"

Not sure why it should make you laugh, but I guess I'll have to think why I said this. I kind of do know why, I think I wanted to avoid well-meaning 'opinions' (which a lot of people have, without any basis for knowing) without any foundation. And I said 'years ago' so maybe things have changed. And he doesn't live in this country and we don't speak much due to being too busy. I'm aware of different opinions on all sorts of things, but the opinions must be well-informed. I'm brand new to this forum so wasn't sure of the qualty, for want of a better term. I don't usually engage in forums at all. I can see I've been a bit naive in responding. However, very stressed at the moment so I'm not going to beat myself up for being human. The responses were great, and so quick, thank you. But yes will chill out, thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure why it should make you laugh...

It made me laugh/smile for two reasons:

1. Mentioning your nephew's college degrees (and opinion on Macintosh virus protection) was supposed to somehow "validate" your nephew's opinion. When in reality...lots of folks without any college degrees (or degrees in other areas)...can be VERY knowledgeable in this area. In other words...a person doesn't need multiple college degrees to be an expert on Macintosh virus protection.:)

2. As you mentioned...your nephew may have been VERY knowledgeable regarding Macintosh virus protection a few years ago...but that advice from a few years ago is outdated.

All you need to ask was "Do I need virus protection on my Macintosh?". Your nephew's info/opinion from a few years ago (and his college degrees) really are not relevant to the question.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you, consider myself told off. And I'll remember there is a right way to ask a question and it should not offend people by the sounds of it. Why not just ignore that it, everyone else did, and just offer the suggestions (as you did) whilst privately thinking 'silly person, why go on about that'? No wonder I don't write on forums.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, consider myself told off. And I'll remember there is a right way to ask a question and it should not offend people by the sounds of it. Why not just ignore that it, everyone else did, and just offer the suggestions (as you did) whilst privately thinking 'silly person, why go on about that'? No wonder I don't write on forums.

Nah...don't look at it that way.:) Words on an internet forum don't always convey the same meaning as the spoken word on a phone...or like in a face to face conversation (so don't assume the worst).:)

I was mainly pointing out that 3 year-old old info in the "computer world" is very out of date...no matter who it comes from (including nephew's with multiple degrees)!;) Things can change a lot in three years.

But happily & thankfully...(for you & most of us Macintosh users) what your nephew advised 3 years ago...still hold's true today!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are running Mac OS X which is a very well protected Unix system and there are no Mac OS X viruses. Concerning phone calls and problems with your computer, in Australia scammers can drive you crazy with up to half a dozen calls a day 'You have a problem with your computer'. Tell them you do not have a computer and they just hang up. No line in the script for that response!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.