iTunes organization with iPhone 4s

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but the music one seemed more specific to creativity or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm sure most will think I'm being OCD here... and I am. haha. But I'm trying to organize my music just the way I like it. I've been using an iPod classic up until this point and all my settings in iTunes works great for that. However, I just got an iPhone and put all my music onto it and it's been a bit of an organizational nightmare. I've figured most of it out, but I can't figure out this one last thing.

So I'm old school and I like to actually buy physical copies of CD's. Say what you will, but I want them. I then copy them onto a drive and all those are great and organize easily.

From time to time, I like 1 song by an artist and that doesn't justify my buying a entire CD. So I buy that song. And I also have a couple of musician friends who have a couple of songs that they gave to me, and so on. So what I like to do is put all those songs so that they show up as being on the same album. "Random" or whatever I choose. Like a compilation. My problem, is within that album, the songs show up on my iPhone alphabetized by SONG title. I want them Alphabetized by ARTIST within the album. So if I'm looking through my music by "album" and I click on the album, I want those songs to be listed by artist in that folder.

I know it seems tedious, but I have so much music and this method of organization works best for me. What setting do I need to change in the info for this to occur? Is it possible?

Thanks!! :)

C

chas_m

I've looked into this, and the answer is "you can't."

It sounds like you've correctly tags your "loose" songs into an imaginary "album" called "Various" or whatever, but it seems to me (on the iPhone 4) that you can't be looking at the ALBUM view and see songs alphabetized by ARTIST. Mine show up by track number (when they have them) and Song title when they don't).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed.

If it's a big issue you could sort them accordingly in something like TAGR and re-write the track number in that same order. This would 'artificially' sort them into the correct order when transferred to your phone.

or just as a second thought.....
If you sort them in iTunes by Artist and created a playlist from that selection. Sync that playlist and your phone should display them in playlist order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.