Transferring Photos fro external hd windows based to Mac?

Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
A friend with me now wants to put her photos on her mac which are stil on her external hard drive. If we plug it in will it just transfer the files and convert?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This are unlikely to be in a format that needs converting.

But either way you can just connect it and either:
1. Drag and drop them into the pictures folder
or
2. Use Image Capture to copy them across
or
3. If you're planning to use iPhoto on the Mac fire that up and import them into the iPhoto library straight from the external disk.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
This are unlikely to be in a format that needs converting.

But either way you can just connect it and either:
1. Drag and drop them into the pictures folder
or
2. Use Image Capture to copy them across
or
3. If you're planning to use iPhoto on the Mac fire that up and import them into the iPhoto library straight from the external disk.

Thanks, were getting there. Dragging and dropping is working. And wil see how to work with larger amounts, possibly with lightroom but she doesn't want all of her photos to end up on the mac!!:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.