network capability in Terminal

Reaction score
Hello, all. Bought a Macbook Pro in late 09, starting to use it more and more lately.

Curious about the network capabilities in Terminal. The shell seems to know all the commands (finger, talk, etc.) but they don't appear to work. I can go into mailx and type a message and send it, all with no errors, but the message doesn't get anywhere.

I was under the impression that this thing should operate just like a UNIX terminal does. I realize some of it has to do with my ISP. I searched on a couple of things and found that most ISPs have certain ports blocked because of spammers and other filth.

Any tips appreciated.

Also, what's the bash command for reading the news? Seems to have changed from rn - I'm probably showing my age here. ;-)

Reaction score
As a test, I would attempt to send your messages to other locally connected computers, rather than going out to the Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, finger. I haven't seen that used now in a long time. Still works locally, might not work when sent to another system. May well be blocked, same with talk. Mail, as I recall utilizes local MTA.. which well.. that WILL be blocked.

Even if these weren't blocked, the only one that would likely be useful anymore is mail. It's been a long time since anyone's actively used talk across systems. There are simply far more reliable and user friendly client/server model instant messaging applications out there.

see what I mean?
Code:
mikeMBP:/ mike$ finger mike
Login: mike           			Name: Mike 
Directory: /Users/mike              	Shell: /bin/bash
On since Sun Apr 29 09:52 (MST) on console, idle 8 days 20:36 (messages off)
On since Sun Apr 29 13:36 (MST) on ttys000
On since Sun May  6 19:28 (MST) on ttys001, idle 1 day 11:00
No Mail.
Plan: continued world domination

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.