The Finder flashes a message on and off and can't stop it

Reaction score
When I opened my macbook pro, it flashes the message below on and off. Even if I chose either one of the option, the flashing of the message still continue. I can't even force quit the Finder. I can't access all my files even the file folders in the desktop. I've tried to reboot it several times but prompted same error messages.

ERROR MSG:

The application "Finder" unexpectedly quit while trying to
restore its windows. Do you wish to restore windows?

Dont Restore Windows | Restore Windows

Does anybody experience this kind of error? Please teach me how to fix it without the need to reformat my hard drive and rebuild the OS. Thank you so much.

C

chas_m

Your Finder is crashing and (as it will do) automatically re-launching. Try restarting the machine in Safe Mode to see if that solves the issue, at least while you're in Safe Mode.

Let us know what you find out.

OP
Q
Reaction score
hi chas,

I've restarted in safe mode but same errors appeared. Is there any other workaround or a reformat is really needed? Thanks.

C

chas_m

That certainly sounds like serious trouble.

The first priority is getting your data safely backed up. I don't know that a reformat is required here, but a system reinstall would probably be a good idea.

If you have access to another Mac, you could try connecting the "good" one to the "bad" one through a Firewire cable and use Target Disk mode to copy over your User folder at least:

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

If you already have a good backup then you don't have to worry about this part and can just go ahead with the system reinstall.

A complete reformatting should only be considered if the reinstall doesn't fix the problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hold down the shift key on your Mac as soon as you hear the Bong! The machine will start up in Safe mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.