Mac Appstore

Reaction score
Hey, I'm having issues downloading updates and even just downloading newly purchased apps. It will start the download and at certain points it stops and the time estimate shoots up to really high numbers and then doesn't continue downloading. I don't know what could be causing this any suggestions??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what could be causing this any suggestions??

Your ISP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Yeah that's an internet issue. Your computer should be fine.

Check your modem and / or router. You can also go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test to perform a connection test (don't worry, you don't need to download anything - it performs the test right in your browser window).

On broadband connections, you should be getting at least 10-15Mbps download and 3-5Mbps on the upload. Ping time should be around 10ms.

C

chas_m

Well, depends on what level of broadband he's paying for. Not everyone buys the 10Mbps and up package ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
my guess is an SSL connection - that caused for me, in combination with gmail, tons of trouble already.

for example: when i use @gmail.com as my email address (which is basically fine internationally but not in germany) it prevents ichat from sending my chat messages or does it with delay. once i changed to @googlemail.com in my mail and ichat it was fine - maybe that´s similar for you with your itunes address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Well, depends on what level of broadband he's paying for. Not everyone buys the 10Mbps and up package ...

I thought that was Comcast's standard package. We don't pay for anything extra and that's what my results look like.

Either way, a lot of things can affect your speeds so let me rephrase; as long as the OP isn't getting 45ms ping times and 1-2Mbps down and .30Mbps up then the internet should be ok.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I thought that was Comcast's standard package. We don't pay for anything extra and that's what my results look like.
Who's to say that the OP uses Comcast or is even an American?

To the OP: Is it every app or just some of them? Does this happen at certain times of the day? Have you tried restarting the modem and/or router?

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah that's an internet issue. Your computer should be fine.

Check your modem and / or router. You can also go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test to perform a connection test (don't worry, you don't need to download anything - it performs the test right in your browser window).

On broadband connections, you should be getting at least 10-15Mbps download and 3-5Mbps on the upload. Ping time should be around 10ms.

Yea my connection is no where near those numbers I have a 3.06 for download, 0.69 for upload and a ping of 65.

OP
E
Reaction score
Who's to say that the OP uses Comcast or is even an American?

To the OP: Is it every app or just some of them? Does this happen at certain times of the day? Have you tried restarting the modem and/or router?

I'm Canadian so I go through a totally different provider.
Its only some apps and seems to be the larger sized ones I can download small things but it seems like anything over two gigs does it and even 1-2 gigs still takes a long time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It could be your ISP for sure. For example - in the US - Comcast Cable had some funky thing where they gave you really fast downloads for the first few minutes (MBs?) of download. In essence expecting most people to be downloading small files or music from iTunes. After that they slowed down the download speed. So for most applications like web browsing and music download it was fast. Anything large and you would see it start fast then slowly - slow down. See if there is any marketing with your ISP about speed burst or power boost or some other marketing term like that.
Power Boost, though sometimes useful, is deceitful... - Comcast Help and Support Forums

Plus the other question is does your ISP have any quotas? I know some are moving to quota based systems like Cell Phone Carriers.

C

chas_m

If you're on a cable-based system, you might also be experiencing the "small pipe phenomenon," where the carrier really hasn't supplied enough total bandwidth for the community when everyone tends to be on the net most heavily at certain periods of the day.

Try your larger downloads at some ungodly hour of the night or morning and see if that doesn't work. If it does, then you'll know what the problem really is.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most ISPs have "peak" and "off-peak" hours. The off-peak hours are usually at some terrible time of the day but it's a better time to do heavy downloading (you may also get more bandwidth then as well). Who is your ISP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.