opening & saving email attachments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13; Mac OS X Lion vr 10.7.3; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 15; 8 GB 1333 MHz DDr3
Hello from a new Macbook Pro 13 user.

My windows pc was dying after the latest updates; having my fill of dealing with issues in Windows, I made the leap to Mac. While waiting for delivery I backed up all of the pc files that were not already on cd. Since the update corrupted the cd creator and drive, in the end, I emailed pdfs and Word docs to myself to download to the new laptop which has Word for Mac installed.

I'm having several issues

1) I "saved" or downloaded a word .doc which prompted Word for Mac to open - however, it was a blank page. I opened it in preview and had the same result.

2) I had several personal videos uploaded to myspace that I wanted to download to the new macbook - I downloaded Firefox as recommended but was unable to successfully download the videos....so I moved back to the email attachments deciding to tackle the videos again later...

3) I downloaded a pdf file which came with an added extension...it reads .PDF.flv and opened in Quicktime - but only the first page is readable. I tried with Preview and the same thing occurred.

It should be noted that I was not using the "mail" app to read and download the attachments. I check my email directly at yahoo and do not use an email program. This may or may not be part of the issue.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What you're doing is just inviting errors. If the PC is still operative, download the Apple Windows Migration Assistant for Lion from here and use it to migrate your PC files including Word to your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.