• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Where to find info on converting old 8mm reels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm hoping there are some people on the forum that have done this or have some info. I have some old family videos on 8mm reels and I want to convert them to a digital format. I'm pretty sure the only way to do this is run them on a projector and record the projection, however I know nothing about running 8mm projectors.

If anyone knows of any internet resources/forums/etc that might be helpful to me, I would appreciate it. Most sources I have found are either business charging huge amounts or forums that are just people who watch/collect 8mm films (which may be helpful in some ways.)

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Keep looking both online and locally for a company that will convert your Super8 movies onto DVD or better yet to uncompressed digital footage they'll put on a thumb drive or hard drive you supply (so you can easily edit the files later).

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Keep looking both online and locally for a company that will convert your Super8 movies onto DVD or better yet to uncompressed digital footage they'll put on a thumb drive or hard drive you supply (so you can easily edit the files later).

I know there's a lot of companies out there that do this work, but the problem is that they cost an arm and a leg if you have a lot of footage, and don't do much more than what I could do any day, which is start playing on a projector and point a camera at it. I think with the amount I have it could be more cost-effective to do it on my own and I think I could do a better job based on some info I've already found.

Reaction score
The part that begins to equalize costs is that you need a projector which is variable speed, so you can minimize flicker. You have to look through the camera's viewer and nudge the projector rate up or down until it looks best. Unfortunately, variable speed 8mm and Super8 projectors are in demand for this very reason, and are far more expensive. And if you end up needing a bulb replacement, you may be spending the same that a company would charge for a handful of reels. Also, a pro company would ideally scan each frame individually, probably yielding better results.

So it absolutely can be done; you could search for "diy telecine" to find some good examples. But if you have just a few reels, consider sending them out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.