Switching dilemma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I utilize my laptop for school, home, church and of course the latest games coming out. My current system is a 17" dell inspiron laptop that I have enjoyed for the last four years but it is apparently at the end of its rope. I typically do a system wipe/format and clean install about once a year to get that fresh feel. Sadly, my system does not have much "fresh feel" left in it so I am looking to get a new laptop.

I actually started looking into a new laptop months ago, because I like to keep up with what is available out there. I must say that I am looking forward to diving into the mac world, specifically macbook pros. I have an ipad - got one the day they came out - and have thoroughly enjoyed learning how the os works and all about aps.

Enough belaboring the point, my problem is this - how soon do I buy a new system? I know that mountain lion will be out this summer and there are "rumors" all over about a possible change to the mbp. It will be interesting to see what changes comes out on the mbp, but not sure it will be a game changer for me. I do like the changes that are being shown in mountail lion and was hoping to hold out until it hit the market so my new system would have it installed.

I would like a little time this summer to become familiar with the sytem before I start back up in the fall. I am not sure how long it takes an average PC user to become comfortable with the new OS and differences in how the computers work to where it does not become a hindrence at work.

I reckon my essential question is - how long does it take to learn the basics of a mac - and is it worth holding out until late summer to score a new laptop. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

C

chas_m

I reckon my essential question is - how long does it take to learn the basics of a mac - and is it worth holding out until late summer to score a new laptop. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

a) depends on your attitude. You appear to have a good one, so I would not expect it to take much time.

b) No.

We now know that ML isn't coming out until "Late" summer -- which in Apple speak is "anytime up to, and even just before midnight on, the official last day of summer," which is September 21st.

We DON'T know when -- or if -- new MacBook Pros are coming out, but what with the Intel chips and such, one might THINK that an early summer date is a pretty good bet.

We also don't KNOW this, but we THINK that when ML does come out, it will be $30. So you're putting off a purchase till the end of summer to save $30? Nah.

Unfortunately we can't really advise you on how to proceed with this, but look at it this way:

1. ANY newish MacBook Pro -- particularly any with the current chipset -- is going to be WAY up the pole from your present four-year-old machine. So have THE latest may not be that important.

2. MacBook Pros that are well-taken-care-of tend to hold onto their value pretty well. You could buy one now and sell it in a year for basically what you paid for it minus a couple hundred. I just bought a 2009 MBP and basically plan to do this myself -- wait for the next round of MBPs, see if there's anything super-compelling (I'm not a gamer so the improved video cards aren't that much of an enticement to me unless it makes a huge difference in Photoshop), and either sell this one or hold onto it until the round after that (MacBook Pros TEND to get minor upgrades once or twice a year).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick answer. I have one more questiion.

I have purchased pages, numbers and keynote on my ipad. Will I need to purchase them again for the mbp or does the license cover more than one machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Thanks for the quick answer. I have one more questiion.

I have purchased pages, numbers and keynote on my ipad. Will I need to purchase them again for the mbp or does the license cover more than one machine?
iPad run iOS. Macs run OSX. The Pages, Numbers and Keynotes you have purchased will only run on iOS platforms(iPad, iPhone). You will need to buy another set of Pages, Numbers and Keynotes to run on your Mac from the Mac App store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Quote from Smalltowntech

As has been answered Yes, but look how cheap these software packages are in the app store.;) almost given away by Apple.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I don't have a Mac yet I can't get into the Mac app store. Can you give me an idea of the cost of those programs?

Reaction score
Since I don't have a Mac yet I can't get into the Mac app store. Can you give me an idea of the cost of those programs?

Last I checked they were $19.99 each. Best money I have spent in the 2 months that I have owned a mac.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Even the full OS X Lion was only £20.99 the last time I looked. Hopefully Mountain Lion will be as cheap when it arrives later this year.
As I said Apple are almost giving away there software.;D;D;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.