Discovering if I have internet password

Reaction score
Hello, I am using the computer of a deceased relative and I want to find out if the computer is protected with an internet password. I don't want the bandwith available to neighbors. I am not a techie. The "AirPort" says "turn AirPort off" which I guess means it's on. Does this mean I am password protected? Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't want the bandwith available to neighbors.

The computer does not control any "bandwidth"...access to your home network is controlled by your homes router...and there's no worries of your neighbors "leeching" your bandwidth unless it's a wireless router.

Thus what you need to do is figure out if your wireless router (if this is what you have) has a password to protect your home network. The deceased relatives computer has nothing to do with this.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your reply. The computer does have a wireless router. What do I do next?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, Thanks for your reply. The computer does have a wireless router. What do I do next?

Your computer does not have a wireless router...no computer has a built-in wireless router.

The router (or wireless router) is a separate piece of technology/hardware...located somewhere in your residence. If you do not have a wireless router...then you will have no wireless signal for the Airport hardware in this computer to detect.

If this is still confusing...I would recommend reading up on basic home computer networking:

A Typical Computer Networking Setup - For Dummies

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Open System Preferences on that machine. Select "Network" and you should see a dialog box with a green dot in the slot that says "Wi-Fi Connected". Highlight "Wi-Fi Connected" and write down the Network Name. Now select the tab at the bottom that says "advanced".

Select the "Wi-Fi" tab. The network name will show up in the box along with the type of security (if any) that is currently being used.

Post back and let us know and we can go from there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, I meant that the house does have a wireless router. It is hooked up to a computer that crashed. About to try chscag's advice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, I followed the directions, and it says the name of the deceased relative and says it has no security. Also, the wireless router is hooked up to a computer that has crashed, not the one I'm trying to get security on. What do I do now?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your Mac from your relative on the internet? If so, how is it connected to your home router? Plugged in or Wireless?

OP
S
Reaction score
It is wireless. And the wireless router is hooked up to a computer that has crashed. But there are two computers in the house, and I am sending this from the one that works.

OP
S
Reaction score
Follow up: I created a WPA password, and I thought this would make my WiFi secure. To test it, I tried accessing my WiFi from my Smart phone. My Smart phone was able to get a signal from my network. Why was the Smart phone able to get a signal now that I have a WPA password??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Follow up: I created a WPA password, and I thought this would make my WiFi secure. To test it, I tried accessing my WiFi from my Smart phone. My Smart phone was able to get a signal from my network. Why was the Smart phone able to get a signal now that I have a WPA password??

When you say "get a signal", do you mean that you have bars showing signal strength or that you are actually connected to your network?

Setting a password doesn't hide your network, it only prevent unauthorized connections.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to what Razor said, could you surf the web on that smart phone? Did Internet apps work? Bars mean nothing. Did you put the WPA password into the phone? If not what you are saying is impossible.

What is the brand and model of your router?

OP
S
Reaction score
What I did was to turn off the data connection to my phone. I then tried the internet and I had no signal. I did this so that when I tried the Wifi I would know where I was getting the connection from (if any). I then turned on the Wifi on my phone and it said it was connected to my network. I was then able to use the web and apps. I did not enter my WPA password into the phone. Why did the Wifi work now that I have a WPA password?

My router is a Lynksis.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What model Linksys? Something is wrong as you can not join and use a WPA or WPA2 network without putting in the key.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's a Linksys wireless-G 2.4. I don't know why the computer allowed me to create a WPA password. Like I mentioned before, the wireless router is not attached to this computer. It's connected to a computer that crashed. Could that have something to do with it? I wonder if I should just take off the wireless router all together. I don't use a laptop. I don't need a wireless router, right? I just hope I could hook up the functioning computer so that it works without the router, as I am not a techie.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't need a wireless router, right?

Are you trying to connect to the internet via a computer? If so...then you need your wireless router.

If you're trying to connect to the internet via a smartphone...then you do not need the wireless router...since you would be getting your "signal" via your smartphone's data plan via your cellular provider.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, it sounds like I need to keep the wireless then. So I'm back to square one. How do I keep my internet signal private. WPA did not work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, it sounds like I need to keep the wireless then. So I'm back to square one. How do I keep my internet signal private. WPA did not work.

You need to password protect your routers wireless signal. To do this...you need to:

- Access your routers setup page and modify the settings.
- To access the routers settings...you need to read the manual that came with the router.
- Once you have access to the routers setup page...you can modify the settings.
- If you do not have the routers manual...then you need to go to the manufacture's website...and download the manual.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.