Partitioning of 1TB internal HD

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently bought an iMac after being a PC user for many years. It has 1 TB internal hard drive. I would like to make two partions: one bootable for the system and applications and the second for files, so in the situation of having issues with the system (I know you will say it is stable, but anyway :)) I would have my partion with files safe.

I'm not sure what the size of the system partion should I make to have enough space for my current and future needs (I usually keep my computer for at least 5 years). I know it would depend on software I would like to install. Basically I'm not really a gamer (although kids may be one day), I would install Photoshop, Illustrator, some video editting software, not really that much. Would you think that 200 GB be enough or should it be bigger?

I was also thinking about making 3rd partition and leave it blank just in case I would like to install and try any new Mac OS releases in the future. What do you think about this? I'm not that familliar with Mac OS and how big immprovements new releases of OS offer.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Set it at 200 GB, you can resize partitions dynamically later should the need arise

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello, I have recently bought an iMac after being a PC user for many years. It has 1 TB internal hard drive. I would like to make two partions: one bootable for the system and applications and the second for files, so in the situation of having issues with the system (I know you will say it is stable, but anyway ) I would have my partion with files safe.

This is a left over habit that ex Windows users have a hard time of kicking. There is no need to partition your hard drive on your new iMac. As a matter of fact it is not recommended as it will likely cause confusion and make it more difficult to backup your data with Time Machine. And further, if you partition the drive, you can not use Boot Camp if you should decide to install Windows.

My advice: Leave the drive as one partition.

C

chas_m

I'm completely with chscag on this. You're using Stinkin' Windows Thinkin'. :)

This is a different computer. Until you get to the point where you actually have a good reason to do something unusual, why not try learning the computer and using it as Apple designed it to be used?

OP
C
Reaction score
This is a left over habit that ex Windows users have a hard time of kicking. There is no need to partition your hard drive on your new iMac. As a matter of fact it is not recommended as it will likely cause confusion and make it more difficult to backup your data with Time Machine. And further, if you partition the drive, you can not use Boot Camp if you should decide to install Windows.

My advice: Leave the drive as one partition.

I'm not planning to install Windows, but there are a few pretty good reasons why the hard drive should be partitioned. Have a look at that article:
The Case for Partitioning Your Mac’s Hard Drive — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

I especially like reason nr 2 and 3:

2. Troubleshooting is easier if you have two bootable partitions.

3. By dividing up critical data, there’s less likelihood of catastrophic data loss due to file corruption. For example, a partition used strictly for document storage is unlikely to be affected by a serious system crash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
2. Troubleshooting is easier if you have two bootable partitions.
Partitioning isn't going to give you two bootable partitions.

Partition 'protection' is no replacement for a good external backup whether that's an external hard drive, online backup or both.

What it does do is make things trickier to administer.

I've used Windows extensively(dos and 3.11 onwards) and been on Mac since 2007. I troubleshoot and provide tech support for Windows machines daily and informally for Mac on these forums.

I can see the thought process behind partitioning on a Windows system. There's far more likelihood you'll need to 'refresh' the OS with a re-install over time. But I'd suggest that partitioning on Mac is just adding complexity for little gain.

Like I mentioned earlier. I'd, personally, throw all energy and resource into a robust backup instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.