Switching from a MBP to ??? iMac or Mac Pro??

F

Fay

Hi All;

I have a MBP for a couple of years - I need to make a switch now. I'm debating between the imac Apple 21.5" iMac Desktop Computer Z0M5-0003 B&H Photo Video

or a mac pro Apple Mac Pro Quad-Core Desktop Computer Workstation MC560LL/A

A couple of things,

If i switch to the Mac pro - I will immediately upgrade the ram
I currently use an Eizo monitor with my MBP - I would like to use that as my only monitor if I purchase the Pro.

thoughts, advice, pros, cons of each of them would be greatly appreciated.

I was informed that the Mac Pro has not been upgraded since 2010 & that the Imac has much better technology. I really am very much confused & would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Fay

OP
F

Fay

One other thing I forgot to mention.

I'm a photographer & the main programs I use are

Photoshop
Lightroom
Bridge
Illustrator
InDesign

thanks

Reaction score
I think your main considerations will be price and longevity.

With the exception of RAM, and unless you enjoy performing electronic surgery, your iMac is pretty much going to stay the same as the day you bought it. Other than that, your needs seem relatively modest and well within the range of an iMac's capability.

But I would say that, while the aesthetic and convenience of an all-in-one unit has an appeal, when it starts to age and components start to wear, you're going to be out of luck.

A Mac Pro is, obviously, far more expensive, but you have a great deal more flexibility. You can add new graphics cards as technology improves or as components wear. You can upgrade the RAM to insane amounts (64GB on the current models), add and remove hard drives with ease... If you keep it up to date, a Mac Pro can serve you for a long long time.

In summary, either machine will meet your needs. In my view, it just comes down to what you want and what you can afford.

Good luck,

Z

OP
F

Fay

Thank you for your reply.

Any truth to the rumors that the Mac Pro will soon become obsolete? And if it is true - how will it affect me?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Rumor is rumor. until an announcement from Apple, there is no truth.

OP
F

Fay

Ok, I hear you. However - my main concern is..... how will it affect me if it does go obsolete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
for as long as you have a warranty, it wont.

OP
C

chas_m

The latest hearsay is that the latest class of Intel Chips are pitch-perfect for a revised Mac Pro, so perhaps Apple will make one (there's certainly a lot of pent-up demand for one).

But it must be said that Apple could make the bold decision to just walk away from the professional market. I really don't see that happening but Apple is not known for making the safe, predictable decisions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.