Wireless + migration assistant = oops

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am transferring files from my 2011 mbp to my new iMac. The connection for migration assitant defaulted to wireless (even though Ethernet was set up), unfortunately. I had forgotten that wireless was the default connection. It's okay, I'm a fairly patient person. It says it has 12 hours remaining. Not too terrible for wireless. Anyway, I have some questions:

If the computers go to sleep, will the files still copy to the iMac? It is too late to change the energy settings as they're in the middle of copying now.

If it does freeze for some freak reason, will my mbp (original computer) still be okay? To add insult to injury my hard drive has the clicking of death going on (just happened) so I don't have the mbp backed up til I get a new external tomorrow.

Should I just cancel it? I'm about to go to bed and I'm afraid they wont copy through the night as the computers will fall asleep from inactivity. If I did have to cancel, I guess I would have to boot from recovery hard drive on new iMac because it is Lion and there are no OS discs.

I'm a little nervous to cancel now as my external hard drive just died and my mbp internal hard drive is all I've got. But I guess copying shouldn't harm the original files anyway. I just don't want to have to babysit the computers by preventing them from falling asleep in order to salvage this migration wirelessly (if that's what I will have to do).

Thank you in advance for the help for reading my ramblings!

OP
I
Reaction score
I can answer part of my own question... They will fall asleep and interrupt wireless and subsequently the migration... so now what? I have no backup of original mbp because of external hd failure and I'm afraid to abort mission in fear of losing old data on source computer!

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok, this is the last time I will reply to my own post for a bit. Sorry to talk to myself but I wanted to update the situation. The time jumped back up to 18 hours and I took the plunge and hit command + Q. I quit the migration and everything went back to normal on both computers, as if nothing ever copied.

I assume everything is ok? I restarted the computers and it looks as though nothing ever even coped to my new iMac even though there appeared to be some document transferring going on in the status bar previously.

Next order of business: replace external HD and back up ASAP. Then perhaps manually copy what I want over from clone on HD OR remember to change energy settings, and uncheck WiFi and purchase FireWire cable...

C

chas_m

Why not just run Migration Assistant again, only this time be sure to use the Ethernet connection? That's the fastest possible way to accomplish what you wanted to accomplish (with Firewire 800 being the second fastest).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.