17" MBP A1151
Hello,

I'm an engineering student.
I've got a 2011 17"mbp.
8gb ram.
Parallels 7
Windows 7 (32bit)
and I'm running Lion.

I've been running windows seven in parralels for about the last 7-8 months using Pro Engineer Creo package. (3d CAD)

I've allocated the maximum ram towindows that I can. Are you able to allocate more cores?

I find that when swapping between Lion and Windows while using Creo the picture will start to flicker in windows. Sections of the window will swap between black and the image it should show. Sometimes it's a pattern of pixelation. I'll try to get a screen capture of it. The only solution i've found for this is to swap to lion and force quit the program, sometimes the whole VM.

Sometimes the whole computer freezes adn teh only solution is a forced reboot. (holding the power button for 5 seconds)

These are all incredibly annoying. I've literally spent hundreds of hours using this program this year and it's become quite a chore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution? Can this be fixed in the parallels settings?

Please let me know if you think I left details out.

Any solution is creatly appreciated. The semester is nearly over but I'd love to have this running smoothly for the summer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution? Can this be fixed in the parallels settings?

You're probably not going to like my suggestion.....

It's always best when running any kind of CAD program or graphic intensive game to run it in native Windows not a virtual machine. Any time you run a Windows program in a virtual machine it has to rely on drivers supplied by the virtual software; in this case Parallels. Although Parallels and Fusion both have improved virtualization methods especially with graphics, it's still "not there" yet.

I would do two things:

1. Setup a dual boot with Windows 7 and OS X. Use the Boot Camp assistant.

2. Install Windows 7 x 64 bit not 32 bit. Windows 7 x 32 bit can only utilize approximately 3.6 GB of memory whereas the 64 bit version will take advantage of all of your 8 GB.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP A1151
Thanks for the reply chscag.

I was worried that would be the reply. :(

I have it set up to use the full 3.6GB of RAM now. The drivers was something that I didn't know though, thanks for that.

Possibly very stupid question... there's no upgrade option is there? For the 32bit to 64bit? Or am I going to have to fork it all over to get a new windows 7?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Possibly very stupid question... there's no upgrade option is there? For the 32bit to 64bit? Or am I going to have to fork it all over to get a new windows 7?

No, there is no direct upgrade. My version of Windows 7 Home Premium (Microsoft boxed copy) came with two DVDs in the box; one 32 bit, one 64 bit. If you purchased a single version (32 bit) you'll need to buy the 64 bit version as there is no upgrade feature when going from 32 to 64 bit. It will also require a complete reinstall.

A good price for Windows 7 x 64 bit is at Amazon.com. Here in the US the full install version (OEM System Builders) sells for $99. Check the Amazon UK site to see if they have the best price. You do need to buy the full install version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.