Must Have Apps

C

chas_m

They're most already on your Mac.

Everyone here has some third-party apps that we really like, but as I say in my essay (linked below), you should really take some time and get to know the apps you already have. If for no other reason than then having a better idea of what you think you might need, so we can give you better recommendations. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
They're most already on your Mac.

Everyone here has some third-party apps that we really like, but as I say in my essay (linked below), you should really take some time and get to know the apps you already have. If for no other reason than then having a better idea of what you think you might need, so we can give you better recommendations. :)

The one thing I found to be so true in your essay:

It's important that you UNlearn a lot of what you learned about Windows in order to really go beyond the basics of the Mac and enjoy its full awesomeness.

If I would have followed that advice at first it would have saved me so much time and effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi OP,

Hi him just wondering what would you say are Apps that I should download on my new Imac :D

Defiantly your first Mac.;D Welcome and enjoy.
I will add go to the app store and get Pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Been a Mac user for over twenty years and yet to have a 'must have App'. Just get what appeals to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I don't think you want my list, exiftool, htop, iftop, imagemagick, irssi, lynx, testdisk, wget, wine ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
How about PATH FINDER guys. I really find it useful. It's my first paid app and it's worth it. I'm not satisfied with FINDER because it cannot hide/reveal a file or folder except using Terminal commands. That is very important to me. Path Finder also has very nice side bar arrangement 

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How about PATH FINDER guys. I really find it useful. It's my first paid app and it's worth it. I'm not satisfied with FINDER because it cannot hide/reveal a file or folder except using Terminal commands. That is very important to me. Path Finder also has very nice side bar arrangement 

I haven't used Path Finder in quite some time, but I don't remember being impressed with it back in the day.

TotalFinder is a plug-in for the Finder that adds tabs and allows you to join tabs to do dual-paned file manipulation. It also adds system wide cut/copy/paste functionality for file manipulation. Additionally, it can show hidden files with a hot key. Best of all, it's less than half the price of Path Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The main reasons I got Path Finder was for Tabs, smart folder sorting, cut/paste of files, and easy hide and show of system files. Total Finder has all of these - and I highly recommend it.

I bought Path Finder before Total Finder was ready. That being said there are still a few things that pathfinder has which may be nice - but the software is expensive. You can assign hotkeys to any menu item. It has "shelves" that let you access processes, a terminal, and reccents very easily. It cycles through icons like other file managers do (i.e. as I push arrow right, the selection will wrap to the next line) You can view coverflow with any type of other view (i.e. it doesn't have to be list view to be in cover flow. There is extra info available under files. The context menu is customizable as well. Most of this stuff is power user stuff so it may not matter to most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
The main reasons I got Path Finder was for Tabs, smart folder sorting, cut/paste of files, and easy hide and show of system files. Total Finder has all of these - and I highly recommend it.

I bought Path Finder before Total Finder was ready. That being said there are still a few things that pathfinder has which may be nice - but the software is expensive. You can assign hotkeys to any menu item. It has "shelves" that let you access processes, a terminal, and reccents very easily. It cycles through icons like other file managers do (i.e. as I push arrow right, the selection will wrap to the next line) You can view coverflow with any type of other view (i.e. it doesn't have to be list view to be in cover flow. There is extra info available under files. The context menu is customizable as well. Most of this stuff is power user stuff so it may not matter to most.

How can I install TotalFinder guys? If I knew this at first then I would have not bought Path Finder.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't used Path Finder in quite some time, but I don't remember being impressed with it back in the day.

TotalFinder is a plug-in for the Finder that adds tabs and allows you to join tabs to do dual-paned file manipulation. It also adds system wide cut/copy/paste functionality for file manipulation. Additionally, it can show hidden files with a hot key. Best of all, it's less than half the price of Path Finder.

Guys, I guess I need some help here. I just installed TotalFinder plug-in and I'm looking for the things you mentioned.
1."dual-paned file manipulation?" what do you mean? What I really want is like a Tree Type arrangement like windows explorer. PathFinder has this "Two Columns" option where you can make Tree arrangement of folders on both columns.
2. Show/Hide file. How can I find it in TotalFinder?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IvanLasston,

Can you pls help me about the below list. I jus installed TotalFinder. I have MBP and installed path finder but I plan to buy iMac and install the same until some guys recommended total finder which is nicer and less cost.

 You can assign hotkeys to any menu item?

 It has "shelves" that let you access processes, a terminal, and reccents very easily?

 It cycles through icons like other file managers do (i.e. as I push arrow right, the selection will wrap to the next line)?

 You can view coverflow with any type of other view (i.e. it doesn't have to be list view to be in cover flow?

 There is extra info available under files?

Sorry I'm just a newbie

Thank you

C

chas_m

What SPECIFICALLY do you need path or total finder to do for you that Finder isn't able to do for you?

With respect to my colleagues, I don't think either program is IMO a good suggestion for someone who says they are still learning the Mac. As I say in my essay, "unless you have a specific reason not to do so, just go along with the way Apple designed the system."

I think you've been done a disservice CebuCity, quite frankly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
IvanLasston,

Can you pls help me about the below list. I jus installed TotalFinder. I have MBP and installed path finder but I plan to buy iMac and install the same until some guys recommended total finder which is nicer and less cost.

 You can assign hotkeys to any menu item?

 It has "shelves" that let you access processes, a terminal, and reccents very easily?

 It cycles through icons like other file managers do (i.e. as I push arrow right, the selection will wrap to the next line)?

 You can view coverflow with any type of other view (i.e. it doesn't have to be list view to be in cover flow?

 There is extra info available under files?

Sorry I'm just a newbie

Thank you

The list I made was for Pathfinder - it is the things Pathfinder adds that total finder doesn't have. These - in my opinion are nice to haves but Pathfinder is $40 vs Total Finder's $18.

To use dual pane mode in Total Finder - View -> Dual View (or Cmd-u)

IMHO Finder is missing some basic niceties that people except coming from other OSes. Although I mostly agree with Chas' suggestion to use the Mac out of the box - the Finder is one of the places where I'd recommend getting some kind of upgrade and not be frustrated by what is lacking. Note that Lion already adds copy/cut/paste of files so that major annoyance has gone away. But Chas' point is valid - I had very specific requirements that I needed day to day and Total Finder fit those requirements - but I expect not everyone needs to see system files(for example)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get me wrong guys. As a "still learning in mac" user, for me the finder is the first thing I have to be familiar with. I know it's my mistake, I directly look for an app that will do what I'm used to. Sadly the main 2 things, 1. Tree like view of folders 2. Hide/Reveal files. And unfortunately that's what finder is lacking and pathfinder has.

Item 1. TotalFinder Dual View -------> thnks IvanLasston. I've found it. SOLVED
Item 2. TotalFinder hide/reveal? ----> still can't find the command. HELP

I don't really care about viewing the system file. If Mac needs some files not to be viewed easily (like system files), so do I as a user. I also have some files that I don't want others to view easily.

Thank you bro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.