Time machine question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I primarily use my computer (macbook pro) for general web browsing and although I have Microsoft Word I don't use it very often. I don't really save a lot of documents on my computer, mostly just music, pictures and contacts from my wife's iPhone. Is Time Machine something that I should consider? I already have a good Lynksis WiFi in my home. Would a back up hard drive be better if I use anything at all?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you should consider using Time Machine to backup your MBP. You'll need an external hard drive at least the same size or preferably larger than the drive in your MBP. Since Time Machine is free (installed with OS X) why not use it? The question is not "if" your MBP drive fails, it's "when". ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you chscag.

When it backs up does it include the OS, Word, pics, music and apps? Would there be anything that it doesn't back up? I'm OK with spending a few $100 over a new $1600 MacBook Pro. Just want to make sure it's needed for my purposes.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless you tell it not to Time Machine will back up everything. You can tell it to exclude certain things if you like. I don't include System files for example because the backup is not bootable. Here's an intro that I wrote a while ago. It covers an older version but the basics are the same. ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

Just in case there's any confusion Time Machine i(the program) is free and included with the OS. Time Capsule (the device) is not free.

C

chas_m

Yes, Time Machine is the software that will back up your hard drive automatically to an external hard drive.

A Time Capsule is a combination wireless router and external hard drive, which is nifty but not required.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand a little better now.
Thanks slydude and chas_m.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Hi guys, can I insert my question here regarding Time Machine? I'm a recent switcher.

If I will disconnect my external HD for Time Machine, is it still backing-up this time in my internal HD? If yes, can I restore from it (internal HD)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me see if I understand your question correctly. You are using an external drive for Time Machine backups. You want to know whether Time Machine will keep backing up to the internal drive if the external id disconnected?

Yes the backups continue on the internal drive until you are able to connect with your external drive again. This only applies to 10.7 (Lion). Other versions of Time Machine did not do this.

OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Let me see if I understand your question correctly. You are using an external drive for Time Machine backups. You want to know whether Time Machine will keep backing up to the internal drive if the external id disconnected?

Yes the backups continue on the internal drive until you are able to connect with your external drive again. This only applies to 10.7 (Lion). Other versions of Time Machine did not do this.

OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

exactly @Slydude. So if that's the case I can still enter into time machine (with that outer space environment...) even though I disconnected my external HD and choose a restore point? Of course the restore points available are only those backed up by internal. Am I correct?

This is a great help for me... Thanx

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my understanding of how it works. If you happen to be connected to your external drive when you do that you see both sets of backups and can access information from either one.

Once you connect to the external drive the backups stored on your internal drive get consolidated into the backup on your external drive. There seems to be some confusion over how long it takes for this process to begin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just disconnected my external HD hooked up with time machine. But to confuse me more, I can still open time machine and restore my old files weeks ago (up to the time where I started time machine). So, the time machine is also eating my internal drive since the start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
CebuCity,

It looks like the snapshots do take up some space on your hard drive. However, you should know that you can't restore the entire system from the internal hard drive it the system crashes. The reason for this is that if you do have a hard drive failure, it's often mechanical in nature. If you can't access your regular files on the hard drive because it doesn't work anymore, how do you expect to access the "backup" files on it? The answer is, you can't, because the hard drive is broken. The whole point of a backup is to have a completely separate hard drive with all the data on it in case the one in you computer fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CebuCity,

It looks like the snapshots do take up some space on your hard drive. However, you should know that you can't restore the entire system from the internal hard drive it the system crashes. The reason for this is that if you do have a hard drive failure, it's often mechanical in nature. If you can't access your regular files on the hard drive because it doesn't work anymore, how do you expect to access the "backup" files on it? The answer is, you can't, because the hard drive is broken. The whole point of a backup is to have a completely separate hard drive with all the data on it in case the one in you computer fails.

Thank you J.Fo. You are correct that the sole purpose of external is to still have the back-up should the internal will fail... But I only noticed that seems it's saving both ways (internal & external) because restoration is still possible at any point with or without the external. :\
I'm afraid this might eat up my internal HD a lot, but I don't think so (hopefully), I'm still not sure. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The article that I linked to above suggests that the local snapshots will be deleted if space is needed.

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

I finally found some description of when these local snapshots are deleted
In addition, regardless of space, Local Snapshots are periodically reduced to one per day after 24 hours, then deleted after a week.
You can find more details at Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 30. What are Local Snapshots?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks @Slydude. It just made me realized how useful TimeMachine is..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Time Machine is great once you realize its limitations. It does not for, for example, produce a bootable copy of your hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Time Machine is great once you realize its limitations. It does not for, for example, produce a bootable copy of your hard drive.

Good thing you mentioned about that bootable thing. I almost forgot that question. Why is it there's an option to boot up to time machine when I press R and hold during starting? So time machine back-up is bootable right?

C

chas_m

Nope. But you can RESTORE a hard drive from a Time Machine backup as long as you are booted from something else (like, say, a recovery partition as you've discovered. Or a system DVD, or a clone, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. But you can RESTORE a hard drive from a Time Machine backup as long as you are booted from something else (like, say, a recovery partition as you've discovered. Or a system DVD, or a clone, etc).

Thanks @chas_m. I just bought my MBP, does it have a recovery partition? Lion is built in when I bought it, what if my internal HD will totally fail and won't boot up what shall I do? I made a recovery disk from Recovery Disk Assistant app, what's the use of it and how?

Thanx a lot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Lion was preinstalled on your MBP then you have a recovery partition. Press Command + R as soon as you hear the POST chime (bong) and the machine will boot to the recovery partition where you can use Disk Utility to do general maintenance such as repairing permissions and verifying the hard drive.

You can also completely erase your hard drive and reinstall Lion from the recovery partition.

I made a recovery disk from Recovery Disk Assistant app, what's the use of it and how?

If your hard drive should crash so that it is inaccessible, the recovery disk you made can be used in lieu of the recovery partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.