Dumb Question, But... (Save as for MAC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
Hello all.

I know this is kinda a dumb question, but I truly do not know the answer. Is there such thing as Save As in Mac? Especially in web browsers, is there any way to right-click Save As (or alternative) images (for example)? I know (at least for the magic mouse) there is right click settings in Mac, but I don't about Save As. I'm mainly considered about Lion, as that's the most likely OS X I'll be getting. Thank you! :D

-J.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Works in Firefox, save linked file as.. and in safari.. download linked file as..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this is kinda a dumb question, but I truly do not know the answer. Is there such thing as Save As in Mac? Especially in web browsers, is there any way to right-click Save As...

Have you looked under the "File" menu in Safari?;) And yes...try doing a "right-click" as well.:)

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
Have you looked under the "File" menu in Safari?;) And yes...try doing a "right-click" as well.:)

- Nick

I can't try that because I don't have a Mac. :p But thanks anyway. :)

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works in Firefox, save linked file as.. and in safari.. download linked file as..

Okay, thanks. :) Would that work in Google Chrome for Mac as well? I mostly use Google Chrome as it's my favorite Web Browser. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks. :) Would that work in Google Chrome for Mac as well? I mostly use Google Chrome as it's my favorite Web Browser. ;P

I'm going to guess yes. Chrome is chrome. It's been the same on every OS I've used it on ;)

BTW, this is all down to the Application, NOT the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

I'm sure Chrome has a Save as function as well. "Save as" is just as common in Macs as it is in PC's.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chrome on the Mac uses "Save Page As..." There is no "Save As".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Keep in mind that in many of the other OSX applications, "Save As..." has been replaced by Duplicate, Export and Versions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
All browsers have the ability to save images. It may be labeled differently but it's always there.

Cross-platform browsers also generally retain the same menu structure (with some OS specific changes). Thus, Firefox, Chrome and Opera will work the same way in OS X and they do elsewhere (I suppose Safari belongs in this group as well because it's technically cross-platform but I always forget since cross-platform for me always includes Linux support).

EDIT: Here's what I mean. Here are the right click context menus for images in Opera:

Windows
windows.jpg

OS X
mac.jpg

Linux
linux.jpg

You'll note that they are the same except for the "Use Image on Desktop" (it's missing from the Linux context menu). The Windows and Linux versions also include the image's relative URL as well for some reason for the "Open Image" item. I imagine that Chrome is very much the same when it comes to cross-platform consistency.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All browsers have the ability to save images. It may be labeled differently but it's always there.

Cross-platform browsers also generally retain the same menu structure (with some OS specific changes). Thus, Firefox, Chrome and Opera will work the same way in OS X and they do elsewhere (I suppose Safari belongs in this group as well because it's technically cross-platform but I always forget since cross-platform for me always includes Linux support).

EDIT: Here's what I mean. Here are the right click context menus for images in Opera:

Windows
View attachment 17260

OS X
View attachment 17262

Linux
View attachment 17261

You'll note that they are the same except for the "Use Image on Desktop" (it's missing from the Linux context menu). The Windows and Linux versions also include the image's relative URL as well for some reason for the "Open Image" item. I imagine that Chrome is very much the same when it comes to cross-platform consistency.

Than you very much, everyone. I do appreciate it. :D One more question while we're on the Chrome subject: do extensions and themes work in Chrome for Mac? As someone else said, Chrome is the same over all platforms, but I just want to be sure. I need to know as many details as possible before making switching my goal. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't try that because I don't have a Mac. :p But thanks anyway. :)

Sorry about that...I didn't realize that you were asking "probing" Macintosh questions without having/owning a Mac.

Always a possible situation...just a rare one!;)

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that...I didn't realize that you were asking "probing" Macintosh questions without having/owning a Mac.

Always a possible situation...just a rare one!;)

- Nick

LOL yeah, sorry. My reasoning is that I want to know all I can about the Mac before deciding if it'll work for me for what I need or not. Hence why I'm asking this in the Switcher Hangout. And it's okay, no worries. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Than you very much, everyone. I do appreciate it. :D One more question while we're on the Chrome subject: do extensions and themes work in Chrome for Mac? As someone else said, Chrome is the same over all platforms, but I just want to be sure. I need to know as many details as possible before making switching my goal. :)

Should work, or rather.. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't. That said, other than for testing purposes, I'm not a chrome user...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One more question while we're on the Chrome subject: do extensions and themes work in Chrome for Mac?
The browsers are the same across platforms - things work no differently. The only exception here would be OS specific extensions which are rare (one example might be an extension that opens content in IE).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.