TimeTracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
In the latest issue of Mac format mag there is an article about Time Machine. The quick tip suggests that a free download is available called TimeTracker so you can see what is backed up in Time Machine. So I went searching for it, as usual there is more than one app all with slightly different names. The one in the apps store is TimeTracker Pro or Time Tracker Lite free. Is this the one referred to in the mag?, if I google it it gets even more confusing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aqua thanks for the link I shall have a look. Chas_m why do I think I need this, I am curious to find out what Time Machine actually backs up. I started using Time Machine shortly after getting my IMac and use it on a regular basis.The biggest mistake I made when buying my Mac was not buying it from the apple shop, I was unaware of the service you get, so I missed out on a lot of very good advise unfortunately there is no going back.I did buy a book recommended to my by someone on another forum "the missing manual" which has helped me no end. I am currently using my grandchildren's method of learning just keep pressing until you find what you want, look into everything,it is surprisingly good, be curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Whooaa...buggy app that can mess with Spotlight. Steer clear please.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pendlewitch sorry but I cannot understand your reply please explain.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chas_m why do I think I need this, I am curious to find out what Time Machine actually backs up.

I believe the reason chas asked you, is that Time Tracker really isn't needed to find out what Time Machine has backed up. All you have to do is open Time Machine (while your external hard drive is mounted) and select "enter Time Machine". Select a backup date. Each backup date opens to a Finder like view and displays exactly what has been backed up for that particular time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pendlewitch sorry but I cannot understand your reply please explain.

I followed Aqua's link for that app and personally I would run a mile from anything that said it could potentially mess around with Spotlight...which it does by way of the update to the latest beta version.

Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 20.28.47.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag when I first opened Time Machine up I thought it looked empty the file size was blanked out, had another look and found out what you pointed out, I thought there may be more to it than that.Also when Chas_m replied I guess that Apple had that covered. penndlewitch I am not sure what Spotlight is could you please clarify thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may help. On the face of it quite simple, but corrupted not so.
See the last sentence also.

Mac 101: Spotlight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Angelin, I don't think the OP was looking into tracking employees.

To the OP, just entering time machine will give you access to all of your data without third party help. The size of the backup files is pretty small so I would not install a third party software to see the size. And if anything messed with spotlight I would steer well clear of it as previously stated, spotlight is a very powerful and useful app. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.