Sorting of Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17", 2.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, OSX 10.8.2
I am using Lion. I use Mail as my email client with gmail as my provider. I have two questions:

1. As I create new folders I set the sort parameters to sort in descending sequence by Date. That works just the way I want it to. However, periodically I go into a folder and I find that the items have been resorted in ascending Subject order. If it is something I am doing, I am not aware of it. It is a minor annoyance, but easily fixable by resorting by descending Date. Is there a way that I can do that permanently? Or does anyone have an idea of what I am doing so that I can stop it?

2. Recently, I started getting a proliferation of copies (sometimes up to 30 copies) of the same email in my folders, especially my Spam and Trash folders. Again, it is a minor annoyance since I can highlight and delete them. But I'd like to stop it from happening.

Any thoughts?

C

chas_m

Here's what it looks like on my Lion version of Mail:

If you're saying you've set it in a particular order and it won't stay that way, I would suggest rebuilding the mailbox and repairing permissions as possible fixes.

As for your other problem with the multiple copies, I'd be likely to suspect a problem with the order or number or configuration of the Rules you have set up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.