Question about apple and restore disk

Reaction score
I have a question. sort of a noob. my father asked me to make a restore disk just in case hard drive fails. is that possible with a mac? Like before I got the question mark of death and then he told me to i should of made a restore disk to prevent that or to make it easier for me. Any comments for this. Please let me know!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What kind of computer are you using and what OS are you running?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Snow Leopard DVD "is" your restore disk. If you're speaking of making a backup, then use Time Machine to backup to an external hard drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
how would u prevent a question mark of death to happen again? and is there way to fix that, or to get rid of that? let me know and thanks as always

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The question mark over a file indicates the machine cannot find a startup disc. Often this is a sign the hard drive has failed. Bot from the Snow Leopard disc, go to Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It hasn't been practical to make a boot disc for the last several OS releases. Instead of needing to have a boot disc handy, I keep a clone of my boot disc on an external hard drive. In a bind I boot from the external drive and either keep working or make any needed repairs to the internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.