Does anyone use the Trackpad AND the Magic Mouse?

Reaction score
Does anyone use both? I'm trying to decide which I would like, or if I would use both. The Trackpad seems like it would be more versatile, but it would take some getting used to. I just wondered about attaching the trackpad to the wireless keyboard, and then having the Magic Mouse beside them. Either that, or go with the wired keyboard and then decide on whether to use the trackpad or the mouse. Any opinions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have the Magic Mouse but do have the older Apple BT mouse that I use in conjunction with the trackpad. Although it takes up some needed space I find it handy from time to time. I do find though that the more I get used to the trackpad the less I use the mouse.

I like the trackpad much better now that I have tweaked a few things using BetterTouchTool

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My only opinion FWIW is that I really love my TrackPad. I use a mouse at work, but not by choice. ;P

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
My initial impression, when trying them in the store, was that I would prefer the trackpad, except for the fact that it tracked really slow (i.e. my finger had to make several trips across the trackpad to get the pointer across the screen). However, it sounds like there are tools to increase the tracking speed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, it sounds like there are tools to increase the tracking speed.

Most definitely...it's a System Preference.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I love the trackpad. The only time I use the mouse is to play Bejewled Blitz on Facebook. All other times its trackpad for me.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I use my trackpad probably 99% of the time, but find it necessary for certain tasks to use the mouse. Both work equally well, but for certain CAD applications, I prefer the mouse.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I have and use both. I mostly use the Magic Trackpad for everyday purposes. I find that the gesture support is great in Lion and makes using the Mac easier overall. The Magic Mouse I use when I need to do some sort of a task that requires a lot of clicking and selecting. I find it a lot easier, faster, and more accurate in this regard. If I could only have one though, I'd pick the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I got the Magic Mouse with my iMac and bought the Trackpad once it was released.

Never really got on with swipe gestures on the mouse. Used both for a while and found that I barely used my Magic Mouse. So I now use that at work and use the Trackpad at home. It's great for everything bar gaming, but I have a dedicated gaming mouse and keyboard for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I had both, the trackpad lasted a week before i got rid of it, just didnt seem comfortable or precise enough to use, MM all the way for me.

Reaction score
I bought both with my last iMac and used the TP at work to see if I could get used to it. Took less than a week and I bought a second TP for my home Mac. Not even using a mouse at all anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I like having both, they're good for different things. If you'll notice, the trackpad is the same shape as the keyboard, so you can put them right next to each other and it looks almost like one seamless device. To the right of them, I keep my Magic Mouse, but I find that the edges are too sensitive to grip without it mistaking some things for a 2-finger gesture.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Just thought I should report that I now have switched. I am the proud owner of a used iMac (27" 3.4GHz I7 with all upgrades). After a few days of use, the winner is...
touch pad. Hands down. The touch pad along with advanced settings in BetterTouchTools is spectacular. The only thing I didn't like about it was dragging stuff. However, I turned on tap-drag, which solved that. After playing on the iMac all weekend, I went in to work, sat down at my pc, and instinctively moved my finger on the desk, expecting the track pad to be there. Too funny.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After playing on the iMac all weekend, I went in to work, sat down at my pc, and instinctively moved my finger on the desk, expecting the track pad to be there. Too funny.

I still do that sometimes when my finger misses the trackpad and hits the desk instead. First few times it happened I thought something was very wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I use both. I use the trackpad for most tasks. I use the mouse for editing photos and other tasks that require a lot of cutting and pasting. I just find it easier to highlight with the mouse. but I wouldn't give up the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I use both. I use the track pad as a drawing device, like a wacom tablet on the cheap. I have gotten so used to it that it is weird when I dont have both while doing videos or photos.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also use both for different situations.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ditto. I'm channeling Dennis again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I got the magic mouse with my iMac and bought the Trackpad and have been using that exclusively, but do find myself wanting the mouse for a few tasks. I'll probably go back to using both once I get the mouse out of the box..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.