question about the mini

P

punkrockdude

Im looking at starting to do some of my own photo,video, and music editing, and was wondering if the top o the line mini, would be good enough to do a decent job with those tasks

OP
J

jn4jenny

punkrockdude said:
Im looking at starting to do some of my own photo,video, and music editing, and was wondering if the top o the line mini,
would be good enough to do a decent job with those tasks

That's a very amorphous question. One person's "just messing around with my digital photos and ripped MP3's" is another person's "professional-grade graphics design and sound editing." Please be more specific about what you plan to do with your Mac so that we can answer your question more honestly.

OP
P

punkrockdude

well for starters i would like to mess around with igarage with some of my own music, so kinda like my own personal studio. as for video some amateur filmmaking is what i have planned , like little movies and stuff, and as for photos just maybe some touch ups with the odd alterations , but more than anything, i just need to know that the specs would let me do this stuff

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
As long as you max out the RAM, the mini should be fine to handle those functions. Obviously, Garageband and iMovie themselves are a bit limited as far as editing power, but for general purpose users (presumably like yourself), they should be adequate. If they aren't, you could upgrade your software and the mini would still be able to handle it well enough, so long as you don't have all the Final Cut Studio apps running at once or anything.

OP
S

sandals1621

The mini (w/ maxxed out Ram) should be fine for you. I'm using the top mini w/ 1gb of ram for a Media server for Live video etc, sending out full res video up to 6layers at a time w/ realtime effects without issue is Live entertainment scenarios. For what it sounds like youd be doing, The mini would be a great man for you.

OP
L

lil

I own a PowerBook G4 12-inch with 768MB, and a similar 1.5GHz G4 vs. the top end mini at 1.42GHz G4 (though some seem to be getting 1.5GHz models) and I use iLife all the time and it works great.

Sure iMovieHD takes some time to do its processing but it's not questionably slow or anything, in fact -- my PowerBook G4 was giving someone's P4 3GHz a run for its money recently with regards to movie editing speeds :flower:

So get more RAM as suggested and you will be fine, iLife is a wonderful suite of apps and certainly some of the best software I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.