Creating New Folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Hi,

I am trying to create a new sub-folder in Finder, but every time I "create a New Folder" the %$&*^%%& folder ends up down at the bottom of the finder window and not in the folder where I wanted it. I then end up having to scroll around, and drag it back. Am I missing something? Is there a way that I can create a new folder and have it stay within the folder where I tried to create it?

Appreciate any help that is offered.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In the parent folder, right click and then a menu window will appear.
Select New Folder and you will create a subfolder of the parent folder.

Or am I misinterpreting your request ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
In the parent folder, right click and then a menu window will appear.
Select New Folder and you will create a subfolder of the parent folder.

Or am I misinterpreting your request ?

Cheers ... McBie

This is exactly what I am doing, except I don't have that option with the right click, I have to go to the top of the window for the drop down menue. When I select New Folder, the new folder is created on the MacIntosh HD, not in the folder where I need it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Try this approach. Double click the folder you want to create the sub-folder in, then CMD+Shift+N will create a new folder in there for you. Name it what you want and hit Enter and you're done..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Are you saying you don't have the option to right click, period, or are you saying you can right click but there is no "New Folder" option?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Try this approach. Double click the folder you want to create the sub-folder in, then CMD+Shift+N will create a new folder in there for you. Name it what you want and hit Enter and you're done..

This works, however it would be nice to be able to create a new sub-folder without having to open the folder, but this is better than nothing, thanks for the help.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Are you saying you don't have the option to right click, period, or are you saying you can right click but there is no "New Folder" option?

I can right click, however there is no "New Folder" option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This works, however it would be nice to be able to create a new sub-folder without having to open the folder, ...
Oh, so that's your issue. No, you can't do it without being in the folder.

Is there a way that I can create a new folder and have it stay within the folder where I tried to create it?

But I'm curious. Where do you think the folder should go and how was the computer being instructed to put it there, in your perception?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Do you do right click in the left hand pane of the finder or in the right hand pane.
There is no " new folder " option ( using right click ) when you are positioned in the left hand pane.
Is that what is happening ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
I'm guessing you are in "List View" in your Finder and people above here are right: When right clicking on a folder you cannot create a new folder this way. You would need to double click first to enter the directory and create a new folder in there.

How about switching to "Column View" (3rd icon in the top bar of the Finder)? You just click once on a folder and right click into the next column to the right to create a new one. Pressing CMD+****+N will do the same.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Oh, so that's your issue. No, you can't do it without being in the folder.

But I'm curious. Where do you think the folder should go and how was the computer being instructed to put it there, in your perception?

In a "Windows" environment, I would right click on an existing folder and I would have the option of "New Folder". If I selected it, it would create that new folder in the folder that I selected. This seems pretty intuitive to me, but it is all what you are used to.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Do you do right click in the left hand pane of the finder or in the right hand pane.
There is no " new folder " option ( using right click ) when you are positioned in the left hand pane.
Is that what is happening ?

Cheers ... McBie

in the right hand pane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In a "Windows" environment, I would right click on an existing folder and I would have the option of "New Folder". If I selected it, it would create that new folder in the folder that I selected. This seems pretty intuitive to me, but it is all what you are used to.

Ha! I've never tried that using Windows because I'm so used to the Mac way. I would contend that the latter is more intuitive. Just like things in the physical world, if I want to put something inside something else, I have to open it first. Windows apparently also accepts the Mac method, as that's the way I'm sure I've always approached it.

But, you really didn't answer my curiosity. You explained how you would do it in Windows. How were you doing it on the Mac, expecting the new folder to go somewhere but having it end up elsewhere?

Is there a way that I can create a new folder and have it stay within the folder where I tried to create it?
Where were you trying to create it, and how were you going about it? There isn't a "New Folder" option when right clicking (the Windows alternative) as you know.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.67
Ha! I've never tried that using Windows because I'm so used to the Mac way. I would contend that the latter is more intuitive. Just like things in the physical world, if I want to put something inside something else, I have to open it first. Windows apparently also accepts the Mac method, as that's the way I'm sure I've always approached it.

But, you really didn't answer my curiosity. You explained how you would do it in Windows. How were you doing it on the Mac, expecting the new folder to go somewhere but having it end up elsewhere?

Where were you trying to create it, and how were you going about it? There isn't a "New Folder" option when right clicking (the Windows alternative) as you know.

Up to this point on my Mac, I have been creating the new folder and dragging it to the folder where I want it. It as been a pain in the ***** tho. I'll adapt and survive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.