How much is my Mac worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an '08 Macbook Pro (5,1). It is very well taken care of. Recently I was involved in an accident and some scratches were made on the top, although my arm bore the brunt of the impact. At present it still works perfectly with regular usage, connecting to external display, encoding video, bluetooth tethering and all. Here are some relevant details.

15" regular LED display
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3-1066
250GB/5400
Nvidia 9400/9600GT

The entire display assembly was replaced by Apple about 3 months back. Apart from the visual imperfections as shown below, it is perfectly fine.

So, how much is my Mac currently worth in this state? :\

d5292c3a.jpg

e32a2c42.jpg

36a17d7f.jpg

25cc062e.jpg

17434b27.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'd compare local sales similar to yours via Craigslist or ebay. Also look on Mac2sell to see the value if it was in perfect condition and then try to estimate whatever decrease in value those cosmetic issues dictate.

C

chas_m

Cosmetic damage is a big factor with buyers, and will very much hurt the price you paid.

I recently bought a 2009 model for $550. I certainly wouldn't pay more than that for a 2008, and it would have to be cosmetically perfect for me to consider paying that much. YMMV with less savvy shoppers, but that RAM and drive are pretty small and the battery is likely to be on its last legs unless you're replaced it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.
The machine is currently configured with 2x 2GB memory and a WD Black 500GB/7200, both of which I upgraded myself. I would very much like to keep the drive and just pop it in my new Macbook, so the original Apple-stickered drive is going back in if this sells.

I've dropped the price and put the whole 4GB of memory in the specs, hopefully this would help a little.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thread has been closed. The BST forum is the only acceptable forum for selling items on this site, and that is only for the use of established members. I have edited your post to remove the pricing information as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.