Migration Assistant PC - MacBook Pro Help

Reaction score
Hi All:

I am completely new to mac (well, i used it as a kid when thats all they had in school and then it was just for playing that old frontier game) so I do not know how to do all the cool things I could on a PC. A business partner convinced me to make the switch.

I have attempted to use the migration assistant to bring over some of the basic necessary documents & pics from my old PC and will probably move the music & vids to an external drive since I have an SSD and its not very large (or try to figure out how to add another SSD or larger SATA fo that stuff)

Anyhow - i used the migration tool - it said it completed but I couldnt find anything so I came looking on here to see where my stuff went. I found out that it created a new user account... ok try to go into those folders to move the stuff over? I am not allowed... the new user was created as another admin. Ok, so I go log in as that user and share everything with my main user acct? Nope - its password protected and th credentials are different than they were on my PC. (it keeps telling me the password is expired but i need the "old" one to reset it and i tried most of the basic standard passwords which didnt work.

Ughhh... should I erase the user and all the stuff i moved over then to it a different way?

Thanks in advance for your advice... i really love my new MacBook Pro and looking forward to doing some cool stuff with it!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ughhh... should I erase the user and all the stuff i moved over then to it a different way?

The PC to Mac Migration Assistant (Windows Migration Assistant) is new to Lion so I suspect there may have been a glitch when you moved the items over.

What I suggest to do is erase the migrated user if you still have access to the data on your PC and start over. But first read the following Apple KB article on the subject: LINK

You can as a last resort move documents, photos, music, movies, etc. over manually by using a flash drive or external hard drive formatted to FAT-32.

C

chas_m

The PC to Mac Migration Assistant (Windows Migration Assistant) is new to Lion so I suspect there may have been a glitch when you moved the items over.

Nope, there's no glitch. That's perfectly normal behaviour when the user has gone on and created a new account and set it up BEFORE using Migration Assistant. It's a security measure to prevent any possibility of overwriting the user's existing settings, files etc.

What bahasport SHOULD have done is used the Migration Assistant AS they were setting up the new account. Ah well, what's done is done.

Depending on how long ago this transpired, it might be easier for him/her to just take whatever files they want from their current new account, put them on a thumb drive, log into the "migration" account, add the documents there, then delete the "first" account and make the "migration" account the main one.

Your other suggestions are also valid options too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.