Looking for good email app

Reaction score
Hey all -

As the title suggests, I am looking for a good email application. I use gmail as my primary email account and I am currently testing google notifier, its ok but is there anything better out there. I was thinking of trying out sparrow. Any other suggestions out there.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Although I'm not a fan of email clients, what's wrong with Apple's email client? I always play around with mail clients. Not a big fan of them. I prefer web mail. That's just me. But Apple's client is pretty good. There are several open source email clients you can use. Google them. Thunderbird comes to mind. Many others as well.

OP
H
Reaction score
Although I'm not a fan of email clients, what's wrong with Apple's email client? I always play around with mail clients. Not a big fan of them. I prefer web mail. That's just me. But Apple's client is pretty good. There are several open source email clients you can use. Google them. Thunderbird comes to mind. Many others as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do like the apple email client. However, unless I am doing something wrong, i feel that it doesn't have good notification. I need to have the email program open at all times to know when I get emails. I like the notifier program because it lets me know without it being open. However, I don't like the fact that when I click on it, it takes me to the gmails web page. I would prefer, if there is something that blends the two.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thunderbird - it's cross platform and free. If you have Office 2011, you also have Outlook (or Entourage if you have an earlier version),

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for Thunderbird. In addition to being a very good email client it's also an excellent news reader for those sites where NNTP news forums are used.

C

chas_m

a. You don't have to leave Mail open all the time to get notifications. If you want more than the small dock icon updater, you can go in for Growl ($2? $3) which will put much more eye-level notice. So in fact, Mail would probably suit you fine.

b. However, never let it be said that I didn't encourage looking at other options. I don't care much for Thunderbird personally (that crazy upgrade cycle for a start), so I might commend you to take a look at Sparrow (a nimble client for IMAP-based email).

OP
H
Reaction score
a. You don't have to leave Mail open all the time to get notifications. If you want more than the small dock icon updater, you can go in for Growl ($2? $3) which will put much more eye-level notice. So in fact, Mail would probably suit you fine.

b. However, never let it be said that I didn't encourage looking at other options. I don't care much for Thunderbird personally (that crazy upgrade cycle for a start), so I might commend you to take a look at Sparrow (a nimble client for IMAP-based email).

a - I downloaded growl earlier today. Maybe I have it setup wrong because I don't get email notification when I get an email.

b- I was curious to know if either one of these have notifications where I do not have to leave the applications open. I have gmail notifier going but I really hate going to their webpage for emails. I would like something that acts like the apple email client but with notifications and the program does not need to be open.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

OP
H
Reaction score
a - I downloaded growl earlier today. Maybe I have it setup wrong because I don't get email notification when I get an email.

b- I was curious to know if either one of these have notifications where I do not have to leave the applications open. I have gmail notifier going but I really hate going to their webpage for emails. I would like something that acts like the apple email client but with notifications and the program does not need to be open.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Nevermind I figured out what I was doing wrong. I think that growl and apple email client might work for me. I will try that out.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
a. You don't have to leave Mail open all the time to get notifications.

Really? I had no idea. Natively or plug-in/app?

Doug

Reaction score
Hey all -

As the title suggests, I am looking for a good email application. I use gmail as my primary email account and I am currently testing google notifier, its ok but is there anything better out there. I was thinking of trying out sparrow. Any other suggestions out there.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

I, myself, find Apple Mail not the most elegant e-mail client, so I have used Thunderbird--but this is also not to my liking, as, in the past, when using it on my PCs, I have several times completely lost all of my saved e-mails when TB crashed. I am currently using Sparrow (paid) on my MBP, and there is something about it that I really like--the design of it. It does notify me in the dock icon when there is incoming mail. I like Sparrow so much that I have messages from my POP account forwarded to Sparrow (that is, to my iCloud account in Sparrow), so I always deal with my e-mail in Sparrow! Not sure if this helps you in any way, but these are my thoughts.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Really? I had no idea. Natively or plug-in/app?

Doug
Logically, an application can't provide notifications if it's not open, regardless of this is a plug-in or not. Methinks this is not actually a feature of Mail. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7 | 1TB Hard Drive | 8GB Ram
Just set your mail app to check every minute if you want them quick. You can do that in mail preferences.

72uvG.png

There will be a little red icon with a number in it on the mail icon if you have any.

Hx71c.png

C

chas_m

You're right, I was thinking of "push" email a la iOS for some reason.

But still, Growl + leaving Mail hidden (or using something like Herald) should do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.