Will this work?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I will be switching to Mac when the new MBPs are launched. I asked a few questions in another thread about the overall switching experience. However I have another question about my home media set up.

I was wondering about the best way to set this up to share videos and itunes across the netowrk. My partner and I will both have MBPs. I currently have a NAS which hosts all our video files. We have two TVs with network media players attached, as well as our Windows laptops - all of which stream from the NAS currently. However it's pretty buggy setup and I can't get itunes sharing to work (although it says it is supported by the NAS) and I frequently have to reboot the network.

Anyway my thought was to replace the NAS, with a Mac Mini attached to one of the TVs and to get an Apple TV to attach to the other. The mac mini would have the external hard drives plugged in to it that are currently attached to the NAS and would act as the media server.

Would this arrangement allow me to wirelessly stream content from the Mac MIni to both the MBPs and the ATV? Would this include iTunes videos and music? Would this involve much configuration?

Thanks for any input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.