"Ads not by this Site"

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air. I recently moved and have been using a lot of public wifi's. In any case, I keep on having "ads not by this site" pop up and my IP address has been selected to win a prize. These ads show up on my msn page and Facebook and Craig's list.

I have emptied the cache in my browser - deleted all the cookies - installed new ad blocking anti virus software which at this point is just annoying.

Something has definitely infected by beautiful MBA - I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a MacBook Air. I recently moved and have been using a lot of public wifi's. In any case, I keep on having "ads not by this site" pop up and my IP address has been selected to win a prize. These ads show up on my msn page and Facebook and Craig's list.

I have emptied the cache in my browser - deleted all the cookies - installed new ad blocking anti virus software which at this point is just annoying.

Something has definitely infected by beautiful MBA - I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas?

I wonder if that "ad blocking anti virus software" is actually the disease and not the cure. There's some fake ones out there, which are designed to extort money and personal identifiable data from you.

What is that software called?

Reaction score
I am having the same issue but i have not used ad blocking anti virus software... I can not figure it out :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Do you have OnyX app? If not you have to have it. It's free. Run the CLEANING. Execute SYSTEM, USER, INTERNET, FONTS, LOGS , MISC. Leave the checked box as default.

I think this will help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.