Cheap battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2008, MacBook Pro 2012
Hey, I'm just wondering. I recently bought a cheap off-brand battery for my 2008-vintage MacBook Pro, and within a couple weeks, my logic board failed. Is there any possibility that the two are related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Hey, I'm just wondering. I recently bought a cheap off-brand battery for my 2008-vintage MacBook Pro, and within a couple weeks, my logic board failed. Is there any possibility that the two are related?

Yes, it's possible.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheap Battery

Er, thanks for the response. But, could you be a little more specific? I've now replaced the logic board, and re-installed the system software, and I don't want to put the 'new' battery back in if it's possible that it could fry the new logic board. My old Apple one doesn't have much life left in it, but obviously if the cheap battery is a problem, I'm not going to risk it. How likely would you say it is? And by the way, I realised that I posted this on the wrong forum, but I'm new here.

Reaction score
I don't skimp money on laptop batteries. We have seen several customers with various issues from hardware failure to the most extreme a unit caught on fire.

C

chas_m

The only brand of non-Apple batteries I can thoroughly recommend is Newer Technology (sold through Other World Computing). There may be other brands that are perfectly fine, but that one I **know** is solid.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheap Battery

Wow. Thanks guys. Ok, I'm convinced. Darn. There goes £30. But that's a lot less than the logic board. Funny you mention Other World Computing. I used one of their YouTube videos to save my data after my hard drive decided not to play. Very very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.