Can't customize Microsoft Mouse 5000 buttons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
Apple doesn't seem to allow you to customize the extra mouse buttons on the Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 5000.

I downloaded and installed Microsoft's Intellimouse 6.2.1, but that doesn't seem to either!

Please help!

Thanks in advance :)

microsoft-bluetooth-5000-mouse-06.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Apple doesn't seem to allow you to customize the extra mouse buttons on the Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 5000.

I downloaded and installed Microsoft's Intellimouse 6.2.1, but that doesn't seem to either!

Please help!

Thanks in advance :)

microsoft-bluetooth-5000-mouse-06.jpg

Forget the Microsoft driver or Logitech if you have one....

Steermouse is the only way to go (IMO) and as a bonus it makes setting mouse speed and sensitivity a breeze.

Download SteerMouse for Mac - Powerful third-party mouse driver software. MacUpdate.com

Well worth the price.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
Forget the Microsoft driver or Logitech if you have one....

Steermouse is the only way to go (IMO) and as a bonus it makes setting mouse speed and sensitivity a breeze.

Download SteerMouse for Mac - Powerful third-party mouse driver software. MacUpdate.com

Well worth the price.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

Do you know of any 5+ button mouses that MacOS actually can interact well with? I get one step closer to returning to the Microsoft/Linux world every day, it's sad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. Good advice from Craig. Steermouse works and is well worth the $20 price for a license.

C

chas_m

I read this as "cant customize 5,000 buttons" and immediately thought of Dr. Seuss ("The 5,000 fingers of Dr. T").

Glad to hear there aren't 5K buttons on this thing. :)

Looking at Apple Support discussions about this mouse from 2008 to now, it would appear that it should work fine with the latest version of Intellipoint drivers with one exception -- button #4 just plain can't be configured.

I'm not sure if MS solved this problem at one point post-2008 and it just "broke" again in Lion (I think that would be likely) or if they just never fixed the issue (I think that unlikely). But there you have it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.