Any way to get an update on a disk?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to Mac ownership. I have worked with Macs before at the schools where I have worked but have always been in the Windows camp personally. Need for higher security forced me to look into the latest Mac inventions. I must say I am pleasantly surprised!

Anyway, I clicked on the OSX Tiger update section and it came up with a slew of updates needed, well over 100 mb. I am on a dial-up and my ISP would kick me off long before I could get that downloaded.

Is there anyway I could get a disk of the updates and install them that way?

If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
No and yes. No, Apple does not offer updates on disk. Yes, there are other solutions, however. Option A requires you to still have access to those other Macs you mentioned using before. Go to www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/. You should be able to find the updates on there for individual download as .dmg files. This will require a CD or DVD burning program, which your school or workplace's Macs (presumably that's where you'll be downloading and burning the updates?) may not actually have. If they DO have them, you're in luck. If you have no access to this option either, or those computers in fact have no way of burning the files, then you may have to go another route, such as actually physically moving your computer to a friend's house temporarily who DOES have hi-speed internet. If you're on anything but a PowerMac, this should be fairly easy, but if you ARE using a PM, then this will probably be a bit painful. In any case, good luck with whichever solution works for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
At our shop, we burn discs for the customers if they can't download something - maybe ask at your local retailer?

It actually works quite well, because we're always being given blank discs and stuff from thankful customers, which we use to burn things for others on...So it works out nicely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.