Contemplating making the switch

Reaction score
I am a PC user.

I've never had an i-anything, and don't know Mac. Am SICK and TIRED of buying a new laptop every couple of years though, so I think 2012 is the year to make the switch. I don't play games or process alot of media, but I do manage photos and audio files. I may want to increase my media processing if I do get a Mac however.

What is my best plan of action for making the switch? I need something sturdy, reliable, not too big/heavy (or too small!). I want a laptop.

Is the software compatibility switch an expensive/difficult issue? What about all of my Microsoft (Word, Excel etc) documents that have been created on my PC? Also, I use Quickbooks...

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It sounds like a 13 inch or 15 inch Macbook Pro would be right for you.

If you get iWork, Pages (Apple's word processing application) will open it. You can also buy a copy of Office for Mac. However, you can download OpenOffice for free and it will handle all your .doc files.

I believe there is Quickbooks for Mac.

There really aren't many incompatibilities anymore, and all you'll spend is whatever it costs to buy the Mac versions of software for which there isn't a free alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Hardware changes fast. Software requirements change just as fast. There will always be a lifespan on hardware based on that. It is a constant. Windows or OSX wont matter. However, the lifespan does seem to be slightly longer when it comes to OSX and Mac hardware.

As someone who made the switch last year from 16 years in the Windows world, I will have to say this. Get the Office for Mac 2011. There is no issues with compatibility with documents created with the Windows versions. Especially if you still share with others on Windows. It is the only 100% compatible Office product available.

iTunes will manage your music easily, take the time to learn its nuances. A little bit of patience will go a very long way. iPhoto will easily manage your photos, or you can upgrade to a much more powerful Aperture from the App store for a steal compared to the box version. I use Aperture to manage well over 100,000 photos taken over a 10 year span.

I would recommend the top end 15" MacBook Pro. As with ANY laptop, buy the best CPU and Video Card you can afford, even at the expense of the Hard Drive and RAM. the HDD and RAM can up upgraded after you purchase the laptop, the CPU and Video Card cannot. With that machine, you will easily be able to start editing videos and music with very little hiccup in processing.

Also, at some point, I would look into getting a box version of Windows 7, 64-bit. You can bootcamp (dual-boot, basically) Windows 7 on the MBP for applications that you use that require Windows. If you follow the instructions explicitly, it will be the easiest dual boot experience available out there without someone setting it up for you.

Reaction score
Best of luck! I just recently went through the very questions and concerns you are experiencing. As long as you buy the power you need (smallest 13" Macbook Pro met my needs) you will most likely find yourself in awe when you switch. Simplicity is awesome and everything just works well. And having a beautiful, well built machine that doesn't bend when picked up is a great bonus :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.