Launchpad Usage

Reaction score
I can select the Lauchpad display page (is there special name for it ? ) to show my apps for quick opening an application. By fooling around I discovered that there are more than one such pages available for display. In my case I have two such pages that can be alternately displayed by just using the left or right arrow keys.
On the first page I have 34 apps displayed, and on the second one I have 12 , giving me a total of 46 applications.
The "Finder" shows these 46 applications, all with the .app association ID. There is one more Icon named Utilities thatwhen clicked on, shows another 28 applications.
My question is, how can I get these 28 apps to be displyed on a third page of the Launchpad ?

OP
jott
Reaction score
Pressing the Option key when the Launchpad is active will cause all the Icons to wiggle..
Some Icons will display a small circle with an x inside at the left upper corner.
What is the significance of this circle?
The wiggling action is supposed to indicate that the icons can be moved and re-arranged. But this seems to be not necessary, because the icons can be moved by mouse click alone, without pressing the Option key. Is there another hidden meaning to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The X circle is so you can remove that app from Launchpad.

OP
jott
Reaction score
The X circle is so you can remove that app from Launchpad.

I suspected something like this, but could not figure out what makes some apps eligible for deletion and others not. My first thought was that only apps that I installed could be rmoved, but then again, this did not apply to some apps, e.g. "GarageBand" can be removed, but "Skype" cannot.
What is the criterion ?
John

OP
jott
Reaction score
On the first page I have 34 apps displayed, and on the second one I have 12 , giving me a total of 46 applications.
The "Finder" shows these 46 applications, all with the .app association ID. There is one more Icon named Utilities that when clicked on, shows another 28 applications.
My question is, how can I get these 28 apps to be displyed on a third page of the Launchpad ?
By fooling around I discovered that the "Utility" icon on the Launchpad is actually a Folder and not an app. By clicking on ot it opens on the Lainchpad the missing 28 additional apps.
I am sure this is all old hat for most of you, but thought to post this as an answer to my own query for the benefit of some newbies like me.
John

Reaction score
So far as I can tell, apps that are installed through the Mac App Store can be deleted through Launchpad (the circle with the 'X'). Apps installed through other means (or the ones that come pre-installed on your Mac) cannot be deleted this way.

It is the same way on iOS devices, and Launchpad on your Mac is the same thing as the home screen on an iOS device. The apps that came with the iOS device cannot be deleted, but apps you download from the App Store can by touching the circle with the X. By default on an iOS device you cannot install apps from any source other than the App store, but if you jailbreak that device you can...and those apps you install from other sources cannot be deleted by touching the circle with the X (there is no circle with the X, just like those types of apps on your Mac)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.