Clueless about using iTunes on my MBA.

Reaction score
(Let me first say that I have NEVER used a Mac before in my life except maybe once or twice at someone's house to search the web quickly for a movie listing or something. Have been a Windows user all of my life.)

I recently purchased a 13" Macbook Air and I love it. However, I can't seem to figure out how to add music to my iPhone via iTunes. Or how to delete music from my iPhone while in iTunes.

First question: Do I have to delete music that is on my iPhone strictly by picking up the phone and deleting??? Why can't I do it in iTunes?

Second question: How do I add music to my iPhone?

To add music I have tried:

Highlighting music from my iTunes library and dragging it to my phone (in iTunes).

Unchecking everything I don't want on the phone in my iTunes music library and clicking "sync."

Highlighting music and double clicking in order to find an option to add to my iPhone.

To delete music from my iPhone I have tried:

Deleting it manually directly from my iPhone device. (I suppose this works, but its confusing to me why I can't just do it in iTunes.)

Highlighting it and pressing delete in iTunes.

Highlighting it and double clicking in order to find a delete option in iTunes.

Highlighting it and going to the Edit tab, but delete is greyed out.

There is no option to check or uncheck the music as the checks are greyed out.

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You may be overthinking it. When your iPhone is plugged into your Mac, click on it in the Devices section of the sidebar. Then click the Music tab in the pane on the right. Here is where you can manage what music is synced to your phone. If there's enough space on your iPhone, you can have it sync your entire library, or you can just create a playlist especially for songs you want on your iPhone and only sync that playlist.

All this checking and unchecking and deleting is unnecessary. You shouldn't really be "deleting" anything... the Music tab is where you can sync and un-sync music that goes on your iPhone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh thank Jesus!!!!! Thank you, this is not at all how I was doing it in Windows!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.