Is it Possible to Connect an Ethernet Cable to Blu-Ray from Remote Base?

Reaction score
Any advice greatly appreciated. I have looked through threads and FAQ and can't find anything like my situation. Apologies in advance if I missed one.

I have a Blu-Ray player in a room at the opposite corner of the house to, and on a level above, the wireless router. Tonight, I configured a remote base to improve the signal in that room (which is the only room that needed it). My Blu-ray player in that room needs an ethernet connection, as it is not wi-fi, in order to play Netflix and Youtube. I tried connecting an ethernet cable from the remote base to the blu-ray player, but it couldn't resolve the IP address etc automatically, and I'm too dumb to find out what these would be.

I'm feeling that it's a lost cause, but maybe there's a way.

Reaction score
I think you would need some appropriate hardware that could convert signals for both type of mediums.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise.

I don't know what hardware you mean. The remote base is an Airport Extreme. It's connected to the internet - or at least, the light is glowing green, so I think it is. I have an ethernet cable from the remote base connected to the blu-ray player, which is connected to a receiver by HDMI, and the receiver is connected to a tv by HDMI. The blu-ray plays on the tv ok. I just can't connect to the internet.

Bruce

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How is the Extreme connected to your modem/router? If it is joining a wireless network from another router that might be the problem. I was trying to do the exact same thing you were a few months ago using my Time Capsule to extend the network. Trouble was if you did that wirelessly the Ethernet portson the device went dead so no Internet connection for the Blu Ray player.

I eventually bought a wireless bridge and let it join the network wirelessly. I put that in the room with the Blu Ray player and ran a cable from the Blu Ray player to the wireless bridge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.