So what's the big deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 imac 27, quad core i5, 16GB ram
I just bought my New imac 27 inch. I kept reading that the change from Windows to OS X was going to be difficult to say the least, to be honest it isn't. Everything seems to be done in a logic manner. The only thing that was a small hangup was the right mouse click. As there is no buttons on my magic mouse. but all I had to do is control click and I was on my way problem solved.

The other funny things was, I wasn't all that excited when I bought this thing. More a sense of worry. As I have never spent this much on a computer before. Then reading all the issues that people have when they change. Well my worries seemed to fade. As the OS is simple and more complete than Windows. Without all those trial versions on them permanent stuck into your OS forever.

Over all it is nice to get away from all those plastic PC's. And the constant fan noise trying to trying to keep them cool, The imac runs as quiet as a mouse, does get a little warmer than I would like it too. But it okay. If you are thinking about an imac the issues are very small. I know there was a time when apple was not as useful as it should have been but these days not much of a problem. Only thing it isn't a gaming OS the games are limited.

But if you are using for other things besides gaming the Apple is a good machine. Oh! one more thing still seems to be an issue with backwards compatibility which kind turns off. So if you are tired of building machines and just want something that can do the job! imac can do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just bought my New imac 27 inch. I kept reading that the change from Windows to OS X was going to be difficult to say the least, to be honest it isn't. Everything seems to be done in a logic manner. The only thing that was a small hangup was the right mouse click. As there is no buttons on my magic mouse. but all I had to do is control click and I was on my way problem solved.

The other funny things was, I wasn't all that excited when I bought this thing. More a sense of worry. As I have never spent this much on a computer before. Then reading all the issues that people have when they change. Well my worries seemed to fade. As the OS is simple and more complete than Windows. Without all those trial versions on them permanent stuck into your OS forever.

Over all it is nice to get away from all those plastic PC's. And the constant fan noise trying to trying to keep them cool, The imac runs as quiet as a mouse, does get a little warmer than I would like it too. But it okay. If you are thinking about an imac the issues are very small. I know there was a time when apple was not as useful as it should have been but these days not much of a problem. Only thing it isn't a gaming OS the games are limited.

But if you are using for other things besides gaming the Apple is a good machine. Oh! one more thing still seems to be an issue with backwards compatibility which kind turns off. So if you are tired of building machines and just want something that can do the job! imac can do it.

Nice little write up Pugo. Good to see people finding it easy when they are switching bc really it isn't a difficult OS to navigate, and from the 1st day i switched i always thought that like you its set up in a logical way. Having to dig deep into folders isn't one thing i miss :)

Just curious as to what are your issues with 'backwards compatibility', as maybe someone around here has a solution. If its a question that could raise a lot of traffic, look for the correct sub-forum and post it there.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
The switch is easier for some people. Glad to hear your experience has been good thus far.

The only thing that was a small hangup was the right mouse click. As there is no buttons on my magic mouse. but all I had to do is control click and I was on my way problem solved.

Your mouse does come with the ability to right-click, or secondary click as it's called in OS X. Just go into your System Preferences and look for the Mouse settings. You should be able to enable it there. Once it's set up, you just need click on the right side of the mouse to activate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Backward Compatibility

OK so Apple have a reputation of not getting hung up on backward compatibility but Microsoft's constant efforts to make new operating systems run old software is one of the reasons why its such a crap, unreliable, bloated system but eventually even Windows software and hardware has to give and accept defeat. How many systems can you buy today with parallel and serial ports, for example. Bit of a sod if you still have a parallel printer and want to print from a new PC but ensuring new kit works with old is a big block on development.

My Apple computers are all running Lion and work well. If a new operating system comes out which does not support some of my software its easy, I just don't upgrade. My computer will not work any worse by not having the latest system. Don't be put off by worries about backward compatibility.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TattooedMac
Well my problem is that I'm a teacher, and some of the software that I need to use is no longer supported by OS X. The OS said it no longer supports power PC.

But even without the backwards compatibility, everyday I use this system I find new easier ways to do things with it. But I did have one issue with this mac. The imac froze once when I tried to quit Utorrent. I was a little worried about the good old power restart. So I left the machine running until I cam back from work and as the problem had still not clear up on it own. I did a restart and everything was good. No more problems after that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences and click on Mouse. It will show the two buttons on the mouse. On the Right side set it to Secondary button. On your Magic Mouse, be sure your left finger is not touching the surface and click to the right and you will have your right click.

Also you can plug in any Logitech or Microsoft mouse and use right click also.

C

chas_m

TattooedMac
Well my problem is that I'm a teacher, and some of the software that I need to use is no longer supported by OS X. The OS said it no longer supports power PC.

If the software is still being made/supported, it has long since been updated to support Intel, so you just need to get the updated version.

If it's abandonware/obsolete/dead, you'll need to find a substitute program. This is generally not a big deal, and you often end up with something better anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, But I kind of like doing things a little different from windows anyway. The control, click is an old unix system command so it is like visiting and old friend. Which was another reason I moved to OS X. I am old school, and OS X has old school and the lastest tricks all rolled in to one.. Love this OS.

I know that I have to send a message to OUP support. to get and updated version of their software. I tried another one of their CD's and it worked just fine. So I just have to get a new CD. As it is hard to create homework for the students without it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.