Making the move finally...

Reaction score
I wanted to come on here and say hello!

Its been a really weird year for me, I have changed my job and together with my girlfriend we have bought a house and are now having a baby.

However there are more absurd changes taking place, most noticeable was my decision to ditch my home made PC and a buy a MAC. The other night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking to myself “oh my god” “ I went and bought a Mac”.

Now I have always had a love for computer form my fertile days bashing around on a Commodore 16 to bashing away at SCUMM based Lucasarts games and the odd Sierra point and click adventure.

Suddenly here I am no more a child and a dizzy 25 and I felt like it was time for a change.

To be honest being a pc owner is such a souless existance generally speaking and i miss the days of old. Its been taken over by your average Joe and whilst i am not saying there is anything wrong in that it seems that the initial fun of owning a pc has dwindled for me. I dont really want to be obssessed with the latest release or update or needing yet another peice of hardware. In the ned i felt that 16 years of pc life was good going and that I had become a Dr Frankenstein and it was time to put the beast to rest, or in my case on Ebay!

Since I have ended up by default being dumped with more and more graphic production within my company I was shocked over a boardroom meeting to be told in the new year I have a gift budget of around $6,000 to spend on new Mac equipment.

Now having never used a Mac before I decided that it would be sensible to go and buy a little mini Mac and get some experience pretty **** sharpish. I have searched all over the web for somewhere to come and chat and this place really fits my bill.

When the Mac comes in the next few days I will have to let you know how I am getting on with it. Anyway it’s officially the start of Xmas today so Merry Christmas to everyone and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Oh I almost forgot its a 1.42hz superdrive with 1gb of memory.

Matt- England

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm surprised as you're a PC veteran that you just decided that you just at the spur of the moment wanted a mac; that's cool! For many people, it takes some consideration. But everyone's story is unique like that. Thanks for sharing that with us Smartz and welcome to the community!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Smartz said:
Its been a really weird year for me, I have changed my job and together with my girlfriend we have bought a house and are now having a baby.

However there are more absurd changes taking place, most noticeable was my decision to ditch my home made PC and a buy a MAC. The other night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking to myself “oh my god” “ I went and bought a Mac”.
What I find interesting is that you woke up sweating about a computer change. Whereas I would have woke up thinking I am going to be a father, and the responsible of being a father.

But that is just me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
once you get your mac and you realize that you had nothing to worry about, you will laugh at that moment. congrats on being a daddy and purchasing a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Aside from your age and fatherly status (I was eighteen when I switched a year ago), I was in the exact same position as you. I had always been technologically obsessed, and had finally arrived at the level where I was building my own PCs and fixing everyone else's (unfortunately I still do a bit of this) when I just came to a point where I just snapped one day and said, "Look, I've had about enough of these upkeep issues. I think I'm done." Having been in your shoes myself, I'm sure you won't regret the switch; I hung out here myself in the two months or so before my switch, and it really helped me hit the ground running with the OS. Within a half our of my iBook's green light coming on, I had already downloaded half the third party software I use to this day. Lots of luck with the switch; you won't regret it. Also lots of luck with that six grand you'll have at your disposal next year, though I doubt by then you'll need any luck. For all of your potential problems and the like, welcome to the forums.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the walm welcome

I just wanted to say thanks for the walm welcome.

I agree and find myself as surprised as some of you with my change of heart. The thing that was a driver for me was that every couple of years I spent more money on new components and graphics cards but the experience never got any better. Sure when Xp came out I felt like i was getting closer to the kind of imagined Mac experience but in truth I never had that love of Microsoft only ever the good old games i used to play. The thought i couldnt escape was if Microsoft was so fantastic and if there was so many people using XP and Pc's as a whole why was it that with every release Windows seemed to get more and more like a Mac OS?

I have played around with a pre release beta of Vista and it seems like yet another step towards a Mac approach. In short if you cant beat em join em. My partner is extremely intimidated of our PC and generally it seems most people are scared stiff of breaking or screwing up a setting or two.

I really hope that this is step in the right direction for me and I am sure that this will be the startof a a new great love affair. Oh and yes on a purely cosmetic aesthetic I think all Apple products are ****ed sexy which always helps! :headphone

I will be expecting lots of help mind so I hope i count on you lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But how will he pay for the 16GB of Ram he can put in there? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 ibook 700mhz 384mb
Hey all, just saying hello.

Just switched to a mac, well an ibook 700mhz from ebay, but it's a start yeah?
$6k for new hardware? I had $500 to get an ibook (still have some left over to hopefully bump the ram up from 384mb)

Anyway, running Tiger and loving it, just like the old days on my dual boot RedHat PC, NOT!

peace all, looks like this place has some serious users and great topics. Think i'll like it here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
aipple said:

$6k for new hardware? I had $500 to get an ibook (still have some left over to hopefully bump the ram up from 384mb)

Anyway, running Tiger and loving it, just like the old days on my dual boot RedHat PC, NOT!

peace all, looks like this place has some serious users and great topics. Think i'll like it here!

Welcome aboard... I've been a mac user for nearly 6 months now and I still use this as my startup page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 ibook 700mhz 384mb
Thank you sevenhelmet,

off to start my first thread (hopefully)
See you around!

peace the noo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Aptmunich said:
But how will he pay for the 16GB of Ram he can put in there? ;)

By moonlighting illegally as a graphics designer, of course. How else does anyone with a Quad 2.5 do it? (except for rman of course; we all know he man-**'d himself for that machine). :biohazard

Reaction score
Smartz said:
I wanted to come on here and say hello!

Now I have always had a love for computer form my fertile days bashing around on a Commodore 16 to bashing away at SCUMM based Lucasarts games and the odd Sierra point and click adventure.

Suddenly here I am no more a child and a dizzy 25 and I felt like it was time for a change.

To be honest being a pc owner is such a souless existance generally speaking and i miss the days of old. Its been taken over by your average Joe and whilst i am not saying there is anything wrong in that it seems that the initial fun of owning a pc has dwindled for me. I dont really want to be obssessed with the latest release or update or needing yet another peice of hardware. In the ned i felt that 16 years of pc life was good going and that I had become a Dr Frankenstein and it was time to put the beast to rest, or in my case on Ebay!

Since I have ended up by default being dumped with more and more graphic production within my company I was shocked over a boardroom meeting to be told in the new year I have a gift budget of around $6,000 to spend on new Mac equipment.

Now having never used a Mac before I decided that it would be sensible to go and buy a little mini Mac and get some experience pretty **** sharpish. I have searched all over the web for somewhere to come and chat and this place really fits my bill.

When the Mac comes in the next few days I will have to let you know how I am getting on with it. Anyway it’s officially the start of Xmas today so Merry Christmas to everyone and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Oh I almost forgot its a 1.42hz superdrive with 1gb of memory.

Matt- England
This might help: http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/miniguide.ars

Hope you like your new computer, and happy house warming!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Just wondering...how do you like that 700mhz, what PC did you have before that? does it run well? i just bought a mac mini, but still want a portable mac.
Ive seen alot of deals for the 900 and 1ghz ibooks.

thanks
-Justin

aipple said:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.