Question for an Admin

Reaction score
Hello all -

You guys run a great and informative site. I have a question for you. I created a topic in another section, digital photography, and since I posted I am subscribed to that topic. So that any time someone makes a comment, I get an email stating that someone has just made a comment in your thread(love that feature by the way). Anyway over the last two days I have been getting emails that someone made a comment in my post, but it not there. I go to search the post by user, and he/she is not a member on here. Should I be worried?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Any particular threads that this is happening with? It's possible that posts have been deleted which would explain why you get the email but don't see anything.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think it was (at least once) one of our Smiley-faced Spammers, as I remember banning and deleting posts (or at least I think I do) from the OP's thread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mike is right. It happened several times with the "Smiley Face" annoyance posts. I deleted and banned at least two last night.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks. I was just curious, wanted to be safe that it wasn't a crazy hacker or anything. Thanks for clearing it up guys. Out of curiosity why do they do that?

Hwilensky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Out of curiosity why do they do that?

They probably have nothing better to do. Very juvenile and quite frankly annoying. But not anything we can't deal with. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks. I was just curious, wanted to be safe that it wasn't a crazy hacker or anything. Thanks for clearing it up guys. Out of curiosity why do they do that?

Hwilensky

The smiley is hosted on an external web address. So, by leaving the smiley all over the place, it helps build their search engine relevance. By obscuring that URL in a smiley, it makes it more difficult for staff members to notice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.