New mac user looking for help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15. 8gb ram ... iPad 3
Im new to mac, a guy friend told me you might be able to help...All i know is i have a MacBook Pro with Lion, My friends started getting spam emails from me that i did not send.
This is a brand new computer and i'm worried that i might have a virus. The whole reason i switched to mac is apparently its harder for them to get a virus, Is that true??? Why would they be getting emails from me that i did not send??? Please Help!!!:Confused:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's likely that the problem lies with your email account. Login and change your password to something more complex. Try to include different case (upper and lower) and a number at a minimum. Start there and see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
It's likely that the problem lies with your email account. Login and change your password to something more complex. Try to include different case (upper and lower) and a number at a minimum. Start there and see if the problem persists.

I had this problem too. Not since getting my new iMac but I was using soley an iPad2, 4 months prior. I checked my email to see if I had the unauthorized spamming emails in my sent box and sure enough they were there.

Can you explain how the problem happens with the email and not the computer or server or whatever?

This stuff is confusing:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
log into the account that holds your email and change your password. Especially if it is a web-based service (which 99.9% are). Change your passwords every now and then.

You dont have a virus, you have someone who has hacked your account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't understand how spammers gain control of email accounts but they do. Regardless, a simple password change works a good portion of the time to resolve the issue.

OP
Holly21
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15. 8gb ram ... iPad 3
I just wanna personally thank you guys for helping me out...I did look into a mac email, but it seems there not available anymore. Thank you again everyone!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Holly21,

I did look into a mac email, but it seems there not available anymore. Thank you again everyone!!!!

Since iCloud was released, you can now get a [email protected] account from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.